Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

D16A1 Pistons

8K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  jdmb18hatch 
#1 ·
I am building up a D16A6 with a Y8 head. I have some A1 pistons and i was wondering if anyone knew if the pistons would present any problems with the setup i am planing.

This is the setup:

D16A6 Block and Crank
D16A1 Pistons and rods<--(are these any stronger?)
D16Y8 Head
D16Z6 Intake Manifold
Aftermarked Header
P28 Ecu

This is going to be a budget build up and i already have everything but the rebuild kit and head. The motor is going to be N/A which is why i would like to use the A1 pistons with thier nice dome for high compression. But i dont know if the valve reliefs will be sufficent enough to clear the VTEC valvetrain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

- Lil Steve

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sure it will be the same for the Z6 but i have to ask. Do you think the regular A6 head would work? If it will i will just port and polish it myself, but i wish those pistons would work with a vtec head.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info.

I have been looking for a while now for info on this subject but cant find any online. I hope the Z6 head will work with little or no modification because i was planning to use that head to begin with. If you have a good website that might have the info could you post it up, because i dont think i have been looking in the right places.

If anyone knows about this at all i bet it would be TEG1CRX2 ....if anyone sees or talks to him refer him to this thread.

#6 ·
ok found out a lil info more only if u shave teh head will anything need to be machined so u can use teh y8 head id would since teh chamber is smaller with means higher compression for NA if thats ur route witch it sounds teh a1 rods are teh same as a zc also

#7 ·
Yes, A1 pistons will cause valve-clearance problems, and I believe it results in over 12:1 compression, which is not good for pumpgas, daily-driver...

The A6 pistons with a D16Y8 head (what i'll be running) will produce a 11.2:1 compression ratio, which is perfect for everyday driving and 91+ pump gas. The A6 pistons with a D16Z6 head will produce a 10.4:1 compression ratio. Also, the ports on the D16Y8 head flow much better than the D16Z6.

You might want to find some A6 pistons somewhere for cheap...

Just my .02

#8 ·
Dang.

Is there any way I can use the A1 pistons. If not i will have to scrap the project because i dont have enough spare money to buy new pistons and have them pressed onto the A1 rods.

#9 ·
You should be able to pick up some A6 pistons w/ rods already connected for real cheap, considering you can get a whole shortblock w/ all internals for $50....so it shouldn't cost you more than $25 for the pistons and rods.

#10 ·
use the a1 pistons there is a few people on the other board that use em and dont have any problems with pump gas hes using the a6 block ull see a good boost in compression but the compression wont be high enough to cause knocking if its tuned ull be fine....teh guy is running it in a a6 block also

#11 ·
Using a D16Y8 head? I was always told the valves would hit the piston, and it would result in 12+ compression, as the A6 pistons are 11.2:1 compression with the Y8 head...

The block doesn't matter, all D16 blocks can use any D16 pistons...they are all 2.953" bore.

Anyone need any D16Y8 pistons? I've got some for sale with only 28k on them, perfect condition...PM me...

#13 ·
So he is using A1 pistons with a Y8 head? What is the compression ratio on that, exactly?

BTW, anyone have any D16A6 pistons w/ rods for sale?

#14 ·
i think i know the liam guy who you're talking about. i talk to him regularly on AIM. the car he's building is a track only dragster. he has the largest cam that JG could supply him in the car, as well as no interior and it runs on 103 octane race gas. i don't think you can use that kind of setup on the street.
but again we may not be talking about the same person here.

#15 ·
like i said theres a few people running the y8 head with high compression and yes liam does run 103 but... theres more people runing the a1 pistons liam has zc pistons on his d15 but with teh right tunning u can do it the guy on the other board i forget his name off hand uses regular

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.