Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

97 civic lx b18c5 swap

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PnKStRKiD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. i am new to car upgrades and stuff. I have a 97 honda civic lx 4-door, and i was wondering if a b18c5 (i think gsr or type r) engine would fit into my car? Would i need to make any adjustments to make it fit like new mounts or something or would it just bolt right in? i need as much help as possible because i know nothing about this as of now. so all the help would be greatly appreciated. also, a website that would be great to buy one from would be great. i currently work at a mechanic shop so doing the swap should be pretty easy cause i can just do it there. but i want experts such as yourselves to help me on this decision. i do currently have the original engine in it with like 2 mods but they don't do much but make noise :p i just want some more hp for my little car cause i know for sure now that there is no way i am getting a new car right now for a really loooooooooooooong time. so i have to make due with this and i heard an engine swap to like a b18 would do me some good. i am not really racing my car cause i know i won't win right now. it is just my daily driving car. and i love it. so now that i have wasted enough of your time reading this and i want a response and as much info as possible, so i will stop typing and allow you to tell me all you know that will help me make this swap, if it is a good swap, and roughly how much you think it will take to do.

#4 ·
so then i should just change cams? one of my co-workers said i should just swap my engine to a gsr engine and just put type r cams or headers on it and it would be just as good as a type r. is this right? i heard that the h22 would be too heavy for my car. i have already decided on not swapping that into my car.

#5 ·
just changing cams wont do a whole lot, unless he meant getting the b18c5(type R) and then changing the cams on it. this motor swap will make a significant difference in how fast your car is, but the motor is quite pricey. you will need motor mounts, a different ECU, wiring harness, possibly a transmission if the swap does not include one. the motor swap, depending on where you buy it, may already come with all of those items.

i believe a great engine swap site is www.hmotorsonline.com

#6 ·
i would need a complete change over right? what should i get?

this

170Hp 121Trq 10.1 Compression (USDM)

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30009

or this

195Hp 130Trq 10.6 Compression (USDM)

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30011

and what would i need to get for either of these. just what you stated above? or would i need to get more? ofc this isn't going to happen for a while but i am guessing that these engines are going to change much. i will just shoot these for now til something better comes out. thanks for your help so far. keep it coming.

#7 ·
umm, some of their swaps come with everything you need. you just have to read what the kit includes. im not sure exactly what else you will need because 1-ive never done a swap, 2-i dont know which parts you already have/work and which you want replaced or upgraded. i doubt your intake mani or exhaust mani or any of that good stuff will fit whatever engine you decide yo swap in. if i were you i'd just get the motor, tranny, ecu, or the complete changeover.

and about those 2 motors, they are quite pricey, it all depends on your budget and what you wanna do with it after you get it. if you just wanna leave it alone after you get it, the type R motor is quite powerful, but quite expensive. if you have the $ to burn on a type R, i'd recommend getting the F22C instead. its cheaper, has bigger displacement, and supplies much more power(s2000 motor). here is the F22C http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30013

240hp/163tq 11.5:1 compression ratio, at $4200

or you could try for a B18B(LS) longblock for 750, and get a B16 head, hence teh term LS/VTEC. that requires more work, but can save you money if you know what to do. i wish i could tell you what you needed for that swap, besides the vtec solenoid, maybe transmission, motor mounts, etc stuff they list on hmotorsonline.

anyways i hope i helped you out some. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

#8 ·
ksniperfox thank you for all that help. but of course i am not going to be making this swap for a while since i don't have the money but i now think that i will go with the gsr motor

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30009

besides the fact that it costs a lot less. the hp doesn't hurt much it is only a 15hp difference. and it is a complete change over. which as you said would be better cause obviously it comes with everything. do you think this is a good decision? the reason i am not going to go for the F22C is because i need the full complete change over. :)

#9 ·
sounds good, the only thing i can think of after that, is you may have to buy the intake+filter, and install if you dont install it yourself. be sure to allocate some extra $ for those items, or get a quote from a local shop. and from what a lot of people say on here: dont get it done cheap, it pays off to get it done right the first time.

just dont be convinced that you can go out and beat mustangs and whatnot after you swap. you cant. its a great motor and all, and i know youll feel a big difference and itll be great fun :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.