Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

D16ZC VS D16Z6

14K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  EnJoiThaRex 
#1 ·
I want to do an engine swap to my 95 civic dx. I just bought 2 engines and need to know which one would be better to put in. one is a D16ZC Sohc Vtech. the other is a D16Z6 punched out 60 over with je racing pistons. it is also ported and polished. Which one would i be better off with? and what's a 60 over? prob the stupidest question you've heard but i need to know all the stuff since i just got a good deal without knowing what it is haha.

#7 ·
the z6 is a vtech. i was just buying a tranny but the guy asked me if i wanted the engines to take them so i did. so i'm just trying to know all i can about them.

#9 ·
i would check out the z6 first before you turbo it do the swap and run it n/a for a little bit and break the motor in and if she dont smoke any and no other problems happen then turbo it and to make it a reliable car i wouldnt boost more then 15lbs becuz i had the same motor little different parts and i was boosting 20lbs and blow a rod out the side of my block after 4,500 miles and not even boosting most of the time

#10 ·
im gonna do aftermarket rods if i end up using the z6. it already has pistons and its port and polished. i'm trying to get the most power out of my car. and i will probably drive it for 3,000mi before throwing the turbo back on. i'll also start off at 8psi to be safe and work my way up. would that work? how hard is it to do the z6 swap?

#15 ·
i was also thinking that but the Z6 is already started. i just need rods. and you have egale so i'm guessing they are working good for you. i'll probably end up building them both and selling one or just keep it as a spare.

#19 ·
Ok so i started working on the Z6 block... I have a 95 Del Sol SI tranny i'm throwing on it... i'm throwing on a 7.5lbs flywheel and still aint sure what clutch to use. I am ordering Tuner Toy rods that can handle 700hp so they wont break anytime soon. sticking to the JE Pistons. The head is going to the machine shop to have the exhaust side port and polished. intake and valve is already port and polished. about how much psi can i expect to handle from this?

#20 ·
enough to piss off anyone who pulls up next to you... but have fun man... you wont have 1st gear... say goodbye to it. youll never hook if you run too much boost. my friends old set up had vitara pistons and eagle rods arp head studs and a cometic head gasket with a phearable ecu on a stock head with an ebay turbo kit and it pumped down 367whp with 276ft lbs of torque.... he couldnt launch the car... tires would spin for daysyou dont need that much power. its a waste if you cant put it to the ground and hold it.

#21 ·
i'm gonna put slicks and take it to the track... i don't need a first gear haha i'm just trying to beat most people that get next to me... like those stock corvettes that think they can bag on hondas.

#24 ·
MmmM..Ill go verify

SC15: 1st: Hopefully they share the same mounts. Which i think they do. Since your civic is 0bd1, the motor will drop in.

2nd: What turbo are you using? saying "psi" is not helpful at all. A t28 over boosting at 22psi will work fine for your car, theortically. A T04 turbo with a 70trim .7 A/R comprssor will blow it apart, spooling at that much pressure.

Also, you dont really want a lighter flywheel when your boosting. Turbo, well F/I builds FTM; vary drastically from N/A, but F/I can even vary within itself (but we wont go there).

Basically you want that inertia your flywheel stores to maintain a smooth, balanced, crank under high cylinder pressure. So when boosting a heavier flywheel will have much more enegery spinning at faster speeds than a lighter flywheel willl. Lighter flywheels are for higher revving engines and if you boosting your basically saying you dont necessarily want to rev hi to make power.

Just for your info the most aggressive single cam, cam, is the D15B Vtec cam. But you want a cam with minimal overlap for boost.

#26 ·
Try and find info on it. If you look on the compressor housing it might give you the A/R.

You may be able to get away with a stock valve train if the turbo doesnt flow a high amount of air, but to make the most bang for your buck you might as well get a rebuilt head.

Though i do want to see how well a stock head handled..

#28 ·
Ok so i know it's been a few months but i finally came to starting this project. I tore both the engines apart, I am using the ZC but it had spun a bearing so crank was no good. Pulled the crank off the Z6 and hopefully it fits, i'm saying it will since it's basically the same engine. I am using the Z6 head also. I went 20 over on the ZC block. Also getting it resurfaced along with the head and flywheel. The head is now in the machine shop, getting a port and polish and a valve job. Going to use vitara pistons with custom I-beam rods. On the head i am using a racing valvetrain, Bisimoto cam, Skunk2 gear, and a Blox IM. going to use Competition clutch stage 4 and the Del Sol tranny and adding a LSD. let me know what you guys think. pics will be up soon. thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.