How to prep and paint fender? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Appearance & Sound > Cosmetic & Body

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Y2A
SH Titanium

Car: '94 Accord LX
Mods:
Y2A is an unknown quantity at this point
How to prep and paint fender?

Since my front right fender is dented pretty damn bad, im getting a new 1 from www.theaccordstore.com. Since I have no experience painting metal body panels, how do I prep the fender and how many coats of paint should i use? my car color is champion white(i think, its the stock white color for the '94 accord LX), how many grit sand paper do i use? and when the fender arrives, whats the first thing i should do to prep it?

HELP a noob in need!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Y2A
SH Titanium

Mods:
Damn, no1 know how to do this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 92 civic lx 4 door, 98 nissan frontier
Mods:
super_civic is on a distinguished road
1.sand the fender with 220 grit then sand with 320 grit.
2.Seal the fender with epoxy primer.
3.wet sand with 400 grit until there are no spots unsanded.
4.primer the panel with white primer.
5.wet sand with 400 again.
6.wipe fender down with wax and grease remover.
7.put your base coat on. first coat needs to be light. put about 2 or 3 coats. wait until the base coat flashes off before applying another coat.
8.then clear coat it. put about 2 or 3 coats of clear.
9.wetsand with 1200 grit then buff it and wax it.
Your done!!

"You don't have to like it, but please respect it."
Old 03-01-2003, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Y2A
SH Titanium

Mods:
dayum, sounds like too much work for me , so about how much do I have to pay to get it painted by a pro?
Old 03-01-2003, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!
depends where you live, in AZ paint labor is $87 and hour, so here your average bill for a good place would be around $100-$250 just for the fender, makes you wonder what happens at macco when they do a whole car for that price. I recommend you do it yourself, it's REALLY not that difficult, just time consuming, I also recomend practicing on scrap sheet metal, or perhaps a junker fender. Practice make perfect!!

1989 Accord DX Hatch: SOLD 04/99
1999 Civic EX Coupe: STOLEN 05/07
1989 325i 2-door: SOLD
1995 M3: SOLD
1999 540iT: Garage Queen
1998 Civic HX 5spd: Daily Driver
Old 03-02-2003, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 92 civic lx 4 door, 98 nissan frontier
Mods:
super_civic is on a distinguished road
yeah it really isnt hard it is just time consuming, just like everything else in autobody!!

"You don't have to like it, but please respect it."
Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Y2A
SH Titanium

Mods:
ok, soo where should I get the paint and other supplies from? I was thinking about paintscratch.com, but they were pretty expensive. Does it matter where I get the paint and supplies?
Old 03-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Y2A
SH Titanium

Mods:
also, how should I go about painting my black side-moldings to my body-color(white)?
Old 03-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!Peteex Um, 1 million? Damn!
Unfortunately I know of no places in maryland to get paint, and I've never thought that buying paint off the internet was such a hot idea. You could always go to your honda dealer and ask were they get thier paint form if they do their own body repairs. If your dealer contracts out to do body repair then ask them where. You could also always use the yellow pages. Good automotive paint is going to be expensive no matte what, when I originally went to get paint for my bumper redo, they want to charge me $175 for primer, color, clearcoat, curing agent, and flex agent, that's why I felt lucky to find flexible paint at pepboys that actually matched my color, and at $8 a can, I figured it was worth a shot.

1989 Accord DX Hatch: SOLD 04/99
1999 Civic EX Coupe: STOLEN 05/07
1989 325i 2-door: SOLD
1995 M3: SOLD
1999 540iT: Garage Queen
1998 Civic HX 5spd: Daily Driver
Old 03-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 91 acura integra LS
Mods:
jkeno112 is an unknown quantity at this point
go to your local auto parts store and ask if they have Paint Stripper in a spray can. Cause i know for a fact they make one cause a we used a couple of cans to remove paint on the fender and hood. I believe its called something like "paint away" it strips the paint down to the metal so you don't have to do that much work. It starts to make the paint crackle and with a rag just wipe off the access paint. And its ready to be primered. Of course you still have to sand down the rough spotsm if you want to do a clean job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement