Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

04 accord coupe window issues

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nusdogg 
#1 ·
I bought my accord in June, and I started having problems with the passenger window not rolling up or down. It would click but not move, then it would finally go after about 10 tries. Well now its stuck partially down. When I try it on both driver and passenger side you can still hear the click when the button is pressed but the window us completely unresponsive. Is this a bad wiring issue? Switch? Easy fix? I've seen a few threads on this with ideas but no definitive resolutions. Any help?

#2 ·
The click is always going to be there. The bottom part of the switch is like a cam and it presses down on a curved piece of metal in order to close a circuit when you press down on the switch (whether it's to close or open the window. The click you hear is the metal getting bent.
I've had an old 1990 and 1996 Accord. Both had window switch issues but after a long time. Motor was fine. The contacts got dirty over time. Once I cleaned them, they worked fine. When I remove the window switch, I opened it up. The driver's side auto-down switch isn't designed the same as the others so don't open it up. I couldn't get the switch assembled correctly again so I lost auto-down capability. I cleaned the contacts so up and down worked fine.

#3 ·
I managed to get the window up, which is good so i can at least wash it. The mechanic where work said he could get it tk roll up easily. He elbowed the door and it went up. Who woulda guessed? But as far as cleaning the contacts, where do I do that? My car knowledge is very limited, and a haynes only does so much.

#4 ·
I'm not familiar with your year car. But, I think they are all similar. You have to remove the door handle to get to the window switches. It's usually a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws holding the handle into the door card.

It's been awhile. Remove decorative screw covers. There are Phillips-head screws holding the door card to the door. Unscrew the screws. There might be one behind the door opening latch. Remove the decorative cover and then unscrew the screw. Physically pull back on each edge of the door card and a plastic button will release. You'll hear a pop or multiple pops. Go all around the edge and pull back gently. The door is going to hang loose and will be held on by the door latch assembly and the wires going to the power mirror, locks, windows switches. Unscrew the screws holding the handle to the door card.
I think the switch assembly is screwed onto the door handle. Remove that screw(s). Pull out the switch. Unplug it. The switch has two pressure-based tabs on either side of the switch. Release the tab on one side (push it in I think) and pull up on top. I don't exactly recall what the inside looked like but just clean the anything that is metal. It is usually corroded or just plain dirty. Clean the metal surfaces which are the metal contacts with fine sandpaper. It doesn't have to be mirror-polished. Clamp the top piece back on. Test by pressing the window switch up and down and you should hear the clicking. Replug the connection. Screw the switch assembly back on the door handle. Screw the door handle back on the door card. Put the door card back onto the door. Start with one area and press down on each button (you'll see them all when the door card is off) and go around the whole door card. Reinsert the door latch into the door card. Screw in the screws into the door card into the door. Replace decorative screw covers back on.

The driver's window switch has extra pieces to do the auto-down. I have no idea how to get this assembly back the way it was put together. So, if you take it apart, it may not go back together right and you will lose auto-down. Or, you might be able to figure it out.

I didn't have a manual for this. It's all put together in a non-rocket-science manner.

#5 ·
Thanks for the write up on that, i really appreciate it. Unfortunately, i havent had time to mess with it. I did notice something though. Ever since the passenger window messed up, the passenger window button on the driver side and the window lock button don't light up anymore. Also, the lights by the shift knob used to light up once in a while, but light up every time since the window went out. What are the chances of some bad wiring? The little panel with the switches on them were both obviously not put back in right after the last time they were taken out, so I'm thinking the dealership I got my accord from might have done a quick hack job on it to sell it quick.

#6 ·
The tracks on accords are also notorious for becomming stickey, ir dried out.

You can remedy this with a can of silicone spray that has one of those tiny red hoses. All you do is spray the track while the window rolls up and down. I like to do a good soaking and roll it up and down alot, then repeat.

I do this with the car on as it helps increase the speed of the windows. If its really bad you may have to help the window up and down until the spray coats everything.

Remember if the switch is infact dirty and the cause of the problem it may get stuck again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.