Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

2000 Accord Manual revs high after I step off the clutch before settling down

8K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  salq 
#1 · (Edited)
When I shift gears (at 2000 or 3000 RPMs), more often than not RPMs will shoot up as soon as I let go of the clutch and go to 4000 or so and seems to spin close to, but not quite, freely (very little power). If I keep driving as if everything is ok, the RPMs will start to go back down and the car will feel like it's moving as expected for the speed I'm driving. And then when I shift again, the same thing happens.

The transmission oil is new and full. I was able to stall the car by holding the break while going from neutral into 5th. I've got the console off and the cables look ok. Unfortunately I don't know enough to do anymore than that... I might be looking at the problem and not even know it.

Update 1: I checked the shift lever cables and they don't seem to have any unreasonable slack, but then again maybe I'm imagining what reasonable is.

Update 2: The clutch fluid level is fine, but while test driving with the windows down, I noticed a major burning smell coming from the car when driving up a hill in 3rd / 4th gear while it was fighting with 3000-4000 RPMs but not moving at the expected speed. The manual I have mentions oil on the clutch plate from a leaky gasket... do the symptom match?

Any ideas what's happening and/or what I can look for? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping there are things I can try before the conclusion is "replace the clutch".

Thanks.
Sal

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.