2000 Accord Transmission - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
aguntook is on a distinguished road
2000 Accord Transmission

My Accord (2000 Accord 4 Cyl SE, 114K) is having some weird issues with transmission. I am the only owner and always maintained per mfg recommendations. Couple of weeks back my wife noticed D4 indicator flashing on the dash board and MIL came up. I diagnosed myself, got a 'P0708 Shift Malfunction'. Since I can't fix it myself I took to the dealership. They came up with the same code but said it may be a computer malfunction and erased the MIL code. I thought my wife's driving habits has to do something and thanked god for dodging a transmission replacement. Stupid me, it came back in 2 weeks. This time I was the driver. I started off with a cold engine, rolled out of my driveway and it happened. D4 started flashing, MIL came up. The car wouldn't speed up as I press the gas. Feels like keeping it on Neutral and pressing the gas. The RPM goes up and then suddenly it gets it gear with a thud. It smoothes out as I go over 30 mph and over.

I took it back to the dealership on last Saturday. This time they said I am looking at a transmission replacement. They couldn’t give me the quote right away (but I am expecting it soon). Surprisingly, when I drove back from dealership, I did not feel the same (even on 1st/2nd gear). It drove pretty smooth. Yesterday, I drove around 20 miles and every time I start from a stop or red light the car refuses to pick up and I feel the same. After driving for a while, I went to gym and spent around an hour there. Funnily, when I started back everything was fine as if there is no problem with transmission or pickup. Could it be something related to the heating/temperature, expanding of some metal? Or this is a symptom of solenoid going bad?

I have read a lot stories about this issue. But yet to find the reason and cure to it. Can this be fixed without replacing the entire transmission? If not, would new transmission be guaranteed on this one? By reading, it seems to be an issue of entire 98-02 generation of Accords.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 01 Accord LX
Mods: been lurking, where you been?
kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?
ahhh the curse of the 6th gens...yes, it is a know issue with accord...Honda sent out a warrany extension several years back stating that the manufacturer of the transmission of certain honda model (yours and mine included) were manufactured by a vendor with poor quality. Instead of replacing every transmission, they extended the warranties for the transmissions to 100K...you are now outside of that warranty, so it figures that it would start to go out. If I remember correctly, the cause of the problem is the main carrier bearing is wearing out prematurely (someone back me up on that), causing the xmission to shift funkily, and it is much more noticable when the xmission is cold.

My problem is a short shift from 2nd to third gear, and from fourth to 3rd when accelerating at speed. You could have the xmission replaced at dealer, but it would probably be more economical to purchase a rebuilt xmission and have your local xmission shop replace it for you. The other option is to spend the money for someone to pull the guts on your current tranny and just replace the worn part, you will need to shop around to see which is a better opption for you in your area. I too am in the search for a tranny for the same problem, so I feel your pain. Good Luck man...

If aliens are smart enough to travel through space,

why do they keep abducting the STUPIDEST people on the planet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Thanks a lot Kbone! I just got the quote of $3600 for parts and labor from the dealership. This would not be a new transmission rather a reconditioned one. My uneducated guess would be the same/similar vendor took the 'guts' out and reselling it. Though they are providing 3yr/36K on the reconditioned one. I am currently evaluating if I should spent $4K on it or not. With your advice, I would be shop around like crazy. I am at Tampa, FL and would be visiting the junk yards/transmission shops. Could you suggest if any particular year of 98-02 models DO NOT have this isssue?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Titanium

kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?kbone What did you do to deserve all this rep?
no, it affects all accords, 98-02, certain years for the Odyssey (which I used to have, and the tranny in that one took a dive after 20K) and some acura models, I do not have the spefics on all the affected models anymore, but as far as the 6th gen Accord goes, its just something you'll have to keep an eye on if you own one, some people have not had any problems, some like you and me are getting shafted.

as far as the dealer quote, you should be able to find an after market reconditioned tranny for abt $2K, depending on your area. I check here in central Georgia several months back and I could get one for abt $2200...have not been able to find one recenlty, but I'm still looking...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: Integra GSR. See my photopost.
Mods:
flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?
I had a '99 Accord DX and the auto trans died at 150k. It had the same exact symptoms you mentioned. An automatic transmission mechanic diagnosed the problem to be hydraulic failure, which meant I needed to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt. Some kind of hydraulic actuator changes the gears, and when the transmission works fine, it has more than enough pressure to shift. Since mine had trouble shifting, the pressure was pretty much gone.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1991 Civic Std Hatch
Mods: 400+HP D16Z6
Chiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguntook View Post
Thanks a lot Kbone! I just got the quote of $3600 for parts and labor from the dealership. This would not be a new transmission rather a reconditioned one. My uneducated guess would be the same/similar vendor took the 'guts' out and reselling it. Though they are providing 3yr/36K on the reconditioned one.
Honda rebuilds em themselves, and they are very good at it. We have very few problems with their remans.

1991 Civic Std hatch + D16Z6 + Turbo = 11.2@121
My project car, lots of pics.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
I drove around this evening a bit more. First 7-10 minutes (only on 1st/2nd) after that as if nothing wrong (even for 1st/2nd). No problem in other ones.

KBone: Other forums suggesting for a manual swap. I would be seriously thinking about it. I found a place http://tampa.craigslist.org/aos/523959704.html for the auto. They claim to do it $1K with warranty of 1yr/12K.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Mods:
flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?flyingtoaster What did you do to deserve all this rep?
Quote:
I drove around this evening a bit more. First 7-10 minutes (only on 1st/2nd) after that as if nothing wrong (even for 1st/2nd). No problem in other ones.

KBone: Other forums suggesting for a manual swap. I would be seriously thinking about it. I found a place http://tampa.craigslist.org/aos/523959704.html for the auto. They claim to do it $1K with warranty of 1yr/12K.
When I talked to the auto trans mechanic, he said that it is a bad sign when the transmission starts shifting fine when the engine is warm. A manual swap is a good idea, but when that happened to my Accord, I just sold it for an Integra GSR, all of which are manual.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1991 Civic Std Hatch
Mods: 400+HP D16Z6
Chiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problemChiovnidca has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtoaster View Post
When I talked to the auto trans mechanic, he said that it is a bad sign when the transmission starts shifting fine when the engine is warm.
When you have an issue like that it's usually a piston sticking in a valve body, it will loosen up as the transmission temperature gets to normal and start working right. A lot of times changing the fluid with honda atf help free em up.

1991 Civic Std hatch + D16Z6 + Turbo = 11.2@121
My project car, lots of pics.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiovnidca View Post
When you have an issue like that it's usually a piston sticking in a valve body, it will loosen up as the transmission temperature gets to normal and start working right. A lot of times changing the fluid with honda atf help free em up.
and what does it mean when you hear a CLUNK when you start off in first gear?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
carpediem is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem with it, and abusively and ignorantly i used that lag in gear shift to make my AT accord chirp on second gear. haha it's an extremely bad idea, although very funny especially when taking off on a line with your friends. one other thing is that it always does a high rev from second to third. im really tired of this p.o.s. 4banger vtec bullshit. for that reason im doing a complete swap. still researching, and looking for parts. im planning to put a 3.5 vtec tl engine, im hoping to put a brand new tranny in there, one that did not come from an accord. i was hoping for one with ?trip-tronic? i think thats what it's called. any advice on how to get this done? it is my ultimate solution to the accord transmission. please help!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
American Honda is just too generous. They discounted the dealer's quote. I was able to get it done through the dealership in less than 1200$. How great is that? Even sweeter, it has 3yr/36K warranty on it. I am stuck with Honda for rest of my life. Whoever is having the same issue, please, please talk to American Honda before making a decision.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Mods:
Quote:
American Honda is just too generous. They discounted the dealer's quote. I was able to get it done through the dealership in less than 1200$. How great is that? Even sweeter, it has 3yr/36K warranty on it. I am stuck with Honda for rest of my life. Whoever is having the same issue, please, please talk to American Honda before making a decision.
That's a good deal. So what exactly was the problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
female four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problem
Quote:
Care to share some of that info?

Here is the link to my thread on the same issue. I'm well out fo the warrenty extension as already mentioned but would like to know how you got it done for so cheap?

The cheapest place I could find locally for a re-man tranny was $1500 without frieght and core. Those other 2 would cost an additional $1400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement