Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

2001 Accord D4 light blinks AND engine light

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Horst 
#1 ·
All at the same time the D4 light started blinking, the check light came on and the car is shifting abnormally through the gears (the engine would rev up a bit before tranny kicks in and does not shift through the gears normally), but performs normally between the gear shifts (no lack of power)
Question: Does the TPS have an affect on how the tranny shifts?

The engine code I came up with is 7 long blinks
The D4 code is 4 long blinks followed by 7 short blinks

My research indicates that the engine code 7 is a TPS which I checked (.49V and 4.45V – within specs)
Question: Can the TPS still be bad even though it’s within specs?

I tried finding what the D4 code means but haven’t had any success. Does anyone know?

The Honda dealer won’t sell a TPS without the throttle body ($400), but I can buy a TPS w/o the throttle body for under $50. But who’s to say that there isn’t a mechanical problem within the throttle body.
Question: Could a bad throttle body produce the engine code with a good TPS?

If I do replace the TPS I’d need to remove the throttle body (no room to work with).
Question: Does the throttle body gasket get destroyed when removing it? Would I need a new one or just use silicone?

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.