91 accord 2.2 cylinder head removal - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
jdesantis is on a distinguished road
91 accord 2.2 cylinder head removal

I've got a bent exhaust valve and would like to know if there are any tips, shortcuts, etc., for cylinder head removal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1994 Honda Accord Ex
Mods: 204whp/157wtq
nusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapy
There's no shortcuts whatsoever when it comes to a job like that. Do it right the first time and you'll thank yourself later on the long run.

There's plenty of DIYs on here. Good Luck!

204whp/157wtq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Thanks for the reply. I got lucky over the weekend. There were actually 2 exhaust valves sligtly bent. Amazing what a hammer and screwdriver can do. A light tap on each and they were back to normal. The car is running fine now.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

nusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapynusdogg needs rep therapy
Glad you got it taken care of. Do you know why they got bent in the first place?

204whp/157wtq
Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
No, I really don't know how it happened. This car has had an idle fluctuation for a long time. It would rev up from 1000 rpm to 18 or 19 hundred rpm, back and forth while in Park or neutral. I messed with changing the IAC valve twice, but got the parts from salvage yards because of the age of the car. It did not help the situation. So I finally took it to a mechanic(not a honda dealer) and the car came back to me in worse condition. He also changed the IAC Valve, with a junk yard part, and put tune up parts on (rotor, cap, wires and plugs). Now, the car idle fluctuates between 1000 and 1200 rpm while cold, gets a little better once it warms up, but had a check engine light come on and would pulsate while driving.

But I still can't figure how any of this could bend a valve. Anyway, I talked to a Honda Mechanic who told me the first thing the dealership would do is replace all the tune up parts with OEM Honda parts. So I went ahead and bought the parts and did the work myself. The wires were a perfect fit, as well as the rotor. The check engine light is gone, the car sounds good, but still has the idle fluc. I guess I will take a stab at that this weekend.

thanks for the reply

jpd
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Well, there's a FITV located underneath the TB on the Accords. If that backs out far enough, the engine will surge like crazy at cold. This for sure fixed your idle surge, because it's the FITV's job to control the idle while the engine is idling at cold.

Read this and it'll show you how to adjust the FITV: http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=28486

Good Luck!

204whp/157wtq
Old 01-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Thanks for the info 'dogg. Well, I'd had enough, so I took the car to the local Honda dealer. They found the intake manifold gasket sucking air. Simple. It's too freaking cold for me to mess with this. I wouldn't mind in warm weather, but my joints don't do well in my cold garage. I am going to suck it up and let Honda do it.

jpd
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

I see. I forgot to mention about that too by using carb/brake cleaner around the IM mated to the head.

Do what you gotta do. I know what you mean around this time of the year; no one wants to mess with their car out in the cold.

204whp/157wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement