Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

91' Accord. Harsh vibration at idle, and a few other questions?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  davidjohn 
#1 ·
As the title says, I have a strong vibration at idle.. It's got the 2.2 16v, and an auto trans.
The vibration seems to stick around to about 3000rpm, and then it smooths out. I have a feeling that its a bad motor mount. The mount by the fan seems to have quite a bit of play. The one by the driver side wheel well seems way tighter.
I know the car is in dyer need of a good tune up, what else could cause this vibration? If it is just the motor mounts, what do I have to take apart to change them?

Other questions:

What should I gap the plugs at?

The auto trans needs service. I was told I can use a standard dexron II or III, over the expensive Honda ATF. Would this cause any problems?
Where the heck is the filter for the trans????

Lastly I have been looking at this exhaust on ebay: Accord F22 CB7 Stainless Catback Exhaust Muffler 4" Tip Header Cat Pipe Silencer | eBay
It looks ok, and I was told that the quality isn't that bad. I need to replace everything anyway cause my manifold is cracked.
I was just wondering if I should get a cold air kit as well, to complement the exhaust? If I do, what is a good one that doesn't cost to much?? I just don't want to add to much to this miled old motor, and have it blow up on me.

See less See more
#6 ·
No I don't like the local Honda dealership here. Their a bunch of shysters, and wouldn't even look at it unless I payed them for an hour of shop time. I'm pretty mechanical, and can usually figure this stuff out. But this is my first Honda, and I dunno anything about Hondas..

But I did get the vibration figured out, it was just the front motor mount. I also did the plugs. I just tossed some Champion coppers at it, and set the gaps at .040. I also indexed the plugs to point downward into the cylinder..
It's running way better now, but I'm still not sure thats the right gap for this motor?

I haven't swapped out the tranny fluid yet either, and it way over due. Still looking for the answer to my fluid question?

#7 ·
You may want to clean out the IAC Valve for the rough idle issue. Cleaning and gapping (or replacing the spark plugs if they are worn) is good. Replace the distributor cap and rotor if they are worn.

As for the motor mounts, they can be visually inspected. If the rubber is cracked and/or torn and/or no longer suspending the bolt that goes through the middle, it needs to be replaced. To replace them, (I haven't seen the 91 motor mounts so I am not 100% sure), you jack up the engine/trans from below, unscrew the nut/bolt going through the middle of the motor mount

Do you have a 1991 Accord owner's manual? That would answer your gap distance question and ATF type question. But, I used regular ATF in my 1995 Civic.

I don't know where the filter is for the auto trans. If you can't see it on the outside, that usually means you have to remove the auto trans fluid pan to get to it.

Cheap eBay mufflers are junk, you get what you pay for and sound pretty bad. I would recommend OEM-replacement exhaust set-up and you can get a custom chrome tailpipe welded on if you want it to look nice.
CAI is a waste of money. I would recommend a K&N drop-in filter, i.e. replacement that goes in the stock airbox.

#8 ·
Transmission is used to send power from automotive engine to the drive wheels. The Engine runs at certain Revolutions per minute and the transmissions transmits the power to the wheel. Please refer this source to know about the transmissions.Gear box produces transmission which provide speed and torque to the vehicles.The wheels are driven through the transmissions - What The Heck Is A Transmission Anyway?

Rubber Gaskets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.