Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

91 se automatic overheating problem

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  98Type R 
#1 ·
Hello to all on here you guys have helped me out before so thanks to all. I am having the temp gauge go above the 1/2 mark and it almost goes in the red. I am guessing here that something is majorly wrong like the head gasket is going. My friend had one go on his Honda and he drove it and overheated it. I need some help here as to what is going on and what could cause this problem. Also wanted to add sometimes I smell gas in the oil I am sure that has something to do with this please advise me. I don’t smell gas in the oil all the time though. Also sometimes the car takes a while to start like it has a hard start instead of starting/firing up right away.

Okay so here are some things that have been done to eliminate some things....
Spark plugs changed, coolant changed and good, fans and everything on the car works in perfect order, new distributor, new belts and oil just changed.
With that being said can someone please chime in on what this could be and what I can do (options) to fix this.
The car is 91 se 140k on it in great condition.

#3 ·
Sounds like when you tried to start it and it was having a hard time starting, some of that fuel must've gone past the ring and down into the crankcase mixing in with the oil. That can be your issue right there. For the hard start, I would pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator to see if there's any fuel presents. If there is, replace the FPR. It probably has a pin size hole in the diaphragm causing it to hard start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.