Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

94 Accord Overheating?

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  larbabe 
#1 ·
My 94 Accord has been having coolant woes. First it started leaking but I couldn't see where. Then it leaked into the passenger side interior. I pulled the dash apart and replaced a bad heater core. Stopped the interior leak, but not the exterior. Turned out to be the water pump, which is a pain. Now that's done and the upper hose and thermostat. No visible leaks but I smell coolant once in awhile. 2 nights ago my son brought it home with steam coming out and antifreeze all over the hose side of the engine, battery, radiator. Replaced the radiator cap and washed it all off. This morning when I got to work there was coolant under the car. On the way home the temp gauge went to hot and pinned. Can't see a leak, has coolant again around batt, air intake, radiator. With engine on and radiator cap off I can see the flow from the pump working, level is low but visible, to I topped it off. But the fan didn't come on and not much heat coming out of the heater. Gauge pinned above red line all the way home, drops to zero when shut off. Still can't see a leak, but I can see the puddles. Engine too hot but not too hot.

Do I need a mechanic or an exorcist? :confused

#2 ·
Lol you definitely need an exorcist!!! lol no but really I have a 94 lx and when we bought it I had all kinds of cooling problems. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I would suggest tracing all of your hoses in and out of the radiator. if there are no leaks in your hoses I would suggest checking your seals around your thermostat housing. you may also need to replace your thermostat now as your car overheated pinning it open making the whole system constantly circulate therefore you loose the cooling effect it is meant for. If you have to replace your thermostat don't go with a failsafe as those have a tendency to stick open causing the problem stated above. You said you have coolant splashed across your battery and all that which sounds like you may simply have a hole in one of your hoses which would not necessarily be easy to spot until there is pressure in the line in which case check them while your car is running. Best of luck man, I know how frustrating an overheating issue can be.

#3 ·
Thanks, bud. Good advice. And no, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Since I posted the car and I have gone the rounds more. You were absolutely right about the thermostat and hose. It was the heater hose under the wire harness below the thermostat. Small tear by the mount. Sprayed sometimes when driving, leaked down the mount unseen at idle. Also replaced the temp sensor and gauge sending unit. Back on the road in time for the snowstorm.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 'preciate it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.