Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

95 Coupe w/ f22b swap leaking oil - need to id part

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RiskEverything 
#1 ·
I haven't been on here in a while, and I figured you guys would know it best, but basically the $1,000 Accord I got about a year ago has started leaking oil real bad, and went as far as dumping all of it out when my wife drove it today. I sourced the problem. The motor was swapped by the previous owner and is an F22B.

I dont have a picture of the piece now, because it is dark, but there is a little cylinder-looking that that sits on a triangular flange on the back of the valve cover. I believe the actual triangle part is mounted to the head portion, rather than the VC. It sits above the giraffe-leg portion of the intake manifold, and when you start the car, the flange (or possibly the cylinder thing on top) starts leaking oil in tiny drips. If you hit the gas at all, the drops get larger based on how much gas you give it. I am assuming there is a vacuum line hooked to it that causes this.

Other info I can think of:

-The cylinder thing is silver in color.
-The flange has a gasket, along with another triangular piece above it, then the cylinder on top
-Besides the motor itself, everything else is stock. The motor has all the smog/ air equipment that came with the motor itself to pass reg in CA.

I have never had this problem with any other Honda I've had, hence I have no idea what I'm looking at and am not embarrased to ask for help. I just need to ID the part so I can purchase a new gasket, or perhaps the (what I assume is some form of solenoid) is broken. Thanks in advance. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow in the AM.

See less See more
#2 ·
So I popped off the triangle thing. I tried to run the car with it off. It was awesome. Oil flew up in a giant rooster tail and I feel like an idiot. WHy did I not think that would happen? anyway. I cleaned it up (and replaced the two qts of oil that shot out gloriously), and put some liquid gasket on the flange and reattached it. Ran it about 2 hrs later and I can't see a leak -yet...

Now that I have it liquid gasket-ed the CEL turned on. I can only assume i plugged it up some how with the Blue sealant. I see no signs of overheating but I am assuming that the valve or whatever it is may have sealant in it. I tried to push the gas real hard to just blow it out, but the CEL is still there. Since the car is OBDI I don't have a reader to see what it says. Before I play with this thing any more, or take it apart again, I'd like to know what it is I am dealing with.

So here's a movie, directed by M-Night Shamylan. In the beginning you can see the oil dripping off the triangular flange. It drips more if you hit the gas. I'm trying to find out what the twist of this M-night movie is...

Help?
http://youtu.be/eMHZagwlskY

#4 ·
So I popped off the triangle thing. I tried to run the car with it off. It was awesome. Oil flew up in a giant rooster tail and I feel like an idiot. WHy did I not think that would happen? anyway. I cleaned it up (and replaced the two qts of oil that shot out gloriously), and put some liquid gasket on the flange and reattached it. Ran it about 2 hrs later and I can't see a leak -yet...

Now that I have it liquid gasket-ed the CEL turned on. I can only assume i plugged it up some how with the Blue sealant. I see no signs of overheating but I am assuming that the valve or whatever it is may have sealant in it. I tried to push the gas real hard to just blow it out, but the CEL is still there. Since the car is OBDI I don't have a reader to see what it says. Before I play with this thing any more, or take it apart again, I'd like to know what it is I am dealing with.
Replace that VTEC solenoid gasket. Its a pain to do cause its in a very tight spot when trying to remove the lower portion of that VTEC solenoid. Pull the code to see what it is then go from there.

#5 · (Edited)
Sounds like the pressure switch for the VTEC solenoid, there's an oddly shaped gasket beneath it. When the gasket goes bad, it leaks back by the fuel rail, behind the valve cover. A Nasieff dealer where I live can special order it for around $5, I'm not sure if it differs by area or dealer. That'll probably fix the problem once it's replaced.

If my reading comprehension has failed, then it may be exactly what the others have said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.