Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

96 Accord LX 5 speed stick with intermittent starting problem

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bingo296 
#1 ·
Any educated suggestions or guesses on the following would be much appreciated. Also the more details you are able to offer, the better. My Chilton manual does NOT have any detail in this area. I have not figured out how to get the cover off the relay/fuse box and Chilton does not tell you. I’m trying not to do the guerilla thing to my car.

96 Accord LX with manual transmission and about 235K miles. Has been serviced regularly since new. Intermittent starting problem has come and gone for about 3 years. Was very infrequent but is now a problem about 20% of the time. Weather does not appear to be a factor. Battery is solid and a jump start will NOT WORK because the battery is fine. The local shop I have used for years changed out the starter twice. That had no effect. The clutch safety switch can be heard engaging each time I press the clutch peddle with the ignition in the start position. Also, with the ignition switch on, all normal panel lights come on, fan, lights, etc… work fine but NO TURNOVER AT ALL. Does not even try to turn over. I can push start and pop the clutch when this happens without a problem. After push start often starts with ignition switch without a problem other than becoming a more frequent problem in general. I do have a car alarm that was installed by the dealer. Tried disabling the alarm with a button that comes with it for valet, etc…. Same intermittent start problem still exists.

A local parts guy suggested the Starter Cut Relay but my Chilton manual only points out the general location and I am a novice so I am not doing well at figuring out which relay it is and how to remove/replace it. He also suggested maybe the cable from battery to starter could be offering too much resistance/voltage drop. I look forward to your input.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.