Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Accord 1992 Coupe LX - Outside Mirror problem

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nusdogg 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Ok, here's the story. In the end, I need to replace both outside mirrors on this '92 Coupe LX. Researched things and found aftermarket mirrors np, except.... In looking through things just about everyone whom makes aftermarket's for the '92 Accord has "Sedan" and "Wagon" models. So... thought I had things worked out and ordered "Sedan" mirrors for the replacements. Come to find out, not only is there a "Japanese" version and "US" manufacturered "versions" of the car and that you need to/want to observe this, the R/L "Sedan" replacement mirrors (KoolVue) I obtained DO NOT FIT the COUPE!

What the problem is is that the mounting plate on the mirror is off by maybe 1/3rd of an inch to the coupe door mirror housing. In looking to return these "Sedan" mirrors, and get the Coupe mirrors, I can't find -anyone- whom has "Coupe" mirrors; no aftermarket folks even list "coupe" in their replacement mirror sections for the '92. In it all, and I used OEM part numbers (to the best of my ability, meaning, I guess I've got the Sedan part numbers), I can't say that I'm sure whether I may have been sent the "Japanese" manuf style or for the "US" manuf style. Aftermarket's run $40-$60 each where junk yard searches run $50-$100, usually $75 or more, and, junk yards list all kinds of crazy colors I'd need to paint (I can do this though, np.) The aftermarket's are black and easy to get.

Upto this point I don't know if there is a difference between the "Sedan" measurements vs the "Coupe" measurements and the Sedan mirrors will not fit the Coupe. Or, this is the Japan/US thing. A thought I had was if I could modify the mounting plate perhaps I could form fit these Sedan mirrors to fit the Coupe. I haven't looked into if the wiring is different yet though. Has anyone run into this over mirrors between the Coupe and the Sedan?

Thanks,

accord922

See less See more
#4 ·
How about this. Got the sedan mirror on my table. Got my coupe mirror on my table. What if I could keep the housing mount and simply change the mirror (and solder up the wires?) Looks like it could be a done deal. The mount holes line up, the pin-outs are in the same locations, we're half way there. Coupe mirrors are incredibly difficult to find, and, $50+ to start (no matter what the color) from junk yards. This 'fix' just may work, almost there.

#5 ·
Right on. Took the sedan mirrors, cut the wires and used the Coupe housing mounts. Screw holes matched up on the Coupe housing things, re-soldered the wires as they were- it worked. Did look in the shop manual before I took the chance and couldn't determine if the sedan vs coupe wiring was different, it wasn't specified. Turns out, on my year/model at least, the wiring is the same. It all worked out and the mirrors are fully functional w/no electrical probs. Thanks for the info/replies.

#7 ·
If that cb7 stuff is custom (or the stuff I saw in surfing), good to know on the interchange aspect. For that, I just wanted regular mirrors, no extra lights or anything so I didn't look into cb7. Myabe I should have. The Kool-Vue's I got are a little thin for replacements but should be fine for the rest of the life of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.