Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Accord 1992 LX Coupe - Timing Belt, Clutch questions

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  accord922 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. Original owner of a 1992 Accord Coupe LX 5spd, 168k miles now. I'm a 12k-15k per year driver, and some of the years had as low as 5k only. It's been a great car and I've learned and done a number of things on it now. I got the timing belt changed around 85k and am aware of the 90k interval. Next is the clutch, it's the original. How long do clutches last? I figure if I'm going to try to run this car another couple/few years if I go in for a timing belt change (with water pump and other belts), maybe I should do the clutch.

I'm not sure by feel how much is left on the clutch one way or the other. I have no other experience and this has been my daily driver since '92.

What's a fair price for a timing belt change? (with water pump and other belts.) I've seen $500-$600 here in some posts of other year models. How much does a clutch replacement cost? Midwest state here.

While I'm at all this, any other no brainer things to do while the motor is torn apart upto that point?

thanks

accord992

See less See more
#2 ·
Clutch wear out depends on your driving habit. You'll know when you need a new clutch because it doesn't engage the transmission to the engine when it is worn out.
If you do a timing belt or clutch change, the motor isn't really torn apart. For the timing belt, just the side with the timing belt is partially disassembled, which is why it is recommended to change the water pump, tensioner and pulley while you have access.
If you do a clutch change, the transmission and engine are split apart but the motor is still sealed up. You can, I think, change the rear main seal on the crank of the engine while it is split apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.