Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Accord SIR-T F20b Weird Heat Issues

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  VivaLaMikey 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so i was towing my dirt bike yesterday about to go riding and i noticed my temp gauge sat on cold the whole time it wouldnt heat up so i popped the hood checked my temp sensor wasnt loose and the engine was extremely hot.
I cranked it back up to see if the fans would come on but they only come on when i turn my AC on.
I have a spare engine so i changed the thermostat and temp sensor but it still does it.
Could it have something to do with my dash cluster being faulty, like the temp gauge isnt working and not telling the ecu thats its too hot and to run the fans, not sure if the temp gauge acts like the rev gauge and vtec.
Anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
I have no experience with accords but if your willing to try some poking around i can help.

Figure out how your car is wired. As in which wires are the ECU signal wires,Dash signal wires, and what operate the fans. The maybe connect a DMM to the temp senors and/or fan switch to see if you get any signal. And you could always play with jumper wires and make sure your fans/gauges work.

IIRC you can ground the ground the signal for the instrument cluster which then the water temp gauge should read hot.

#4 ·
K so I had a play around with it tried jumping fans and such and I figured I'd try my other gauge cluster and wat do ya know my temp gauge was dead. So turns out the temp gauge itself tells the ecu when to kick fans and how cool to keep it and not the sensor in the thermostat housing. Now to find out if I can ressurect my temp gauge.
Thanks for the advice anyway guys

#5 ·
So your saying the fans works when you jumped then? Also make sure you have a signal on the ECU end, maybe theres a broken wire somewhere

What sends the signal to the instruemnt cluster?

#6 ·
Sorry should've been more clear, so i hooked the 12v up to both fans to make sure the fans were in fact working, that was alright, and seeing as i know the thermostat was brand new and the sensor was in good nick i changed the dash which has fixed my problem.

But it would be interesting to find out why the temp gauge just died is there any tests that can be done to the gauge to find out if a resistor is gone or if there is a break in the copper coil?

#8 ·
But it would be interesting to find out why the temp gauge just died is there any tests that can be done to the gauge to find out if a resistor is gone or if there is a break in the copper coil?
Ohm Test. It seems you know how to use a DMM so, if its OL or whatever your meter read then you knoe theres a break...

Glad you fixed your problem BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.