Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Bizarre problem! step on brake, wiper moves.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RedWabbit 
#1 ·
have a 94 manual, 4 cyl Accord XL, 250K miles

My engine suddenly died and won't start, emergency flashers don't come on. Horn, radio don't work.

Now, even with the key removed from the ignition, when I step on the brake, the oil light and the alternator light go on and the wipers move a little. Same when I try the headlight switch, the window switches, or when the dome light is supposed to go on from opening the doors. Also, when I turn the key to start, nothing happens while I have the clutch depressed, but when I take my foot OFF the clutch, the engine turns over (doesn't catch) opposite of normal function.

Disconnected the battery for a few minutes but still the same after reconnection. Oddly, there was no sparking when I removed cable from positive post and when I reconnected, yet the battery has enough juice to crank the starter as normal.

Anybody ever run into this? What in the world is going on?

#3 ·
wet or hot

I wish something besides the weather around here was wet and/or hot!

Normal Chicago summer same as the last 17 the car has gone through.

Turned out to be a grounding problem. I would never have guessed poor grounding would cause such strange things to happen.

One grounding strap disintegrated as the bolt in it was being loosened. We moved that one to one of the bolts you undo to change the thermostat.

There were other lousy ground connections on the alternator side of the engine.

Thank you for your interest in figuring out what was wrong.

Cheers,
JB

#4 ·
was about to post up its a ground issue, but it seems you got it figured out. would have posted up sooner but I knocked out at 5 yesterday and just woke up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.