Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Brain teaser-What makes differential seals blow when differential bearings start to g

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Joede 
#1 ·
99 Honda Accord, 4 cyl. BAXA Trans.
It is well known that when the differential bearings start to go, the differential seals at the output shafts also start to leak and or blow out all together.
What is the reason the differential seals at the output shafts leak and or blow when differential bearings start to go? Turbulence? Heat?? I do not know the answer to this question but not knowing has got my curiosity up!
Does anyone know answer??

#2 ·
I'll have a go
It's called excessive play, the seal has spent all of it's life gripping the same diameter, all of a sudden they are moving that little bit extra due to the play in the bearings and normally don't have enough elasticity/flexibility left in them to take up the slack so start to leak.

#3 ·
This makes sense to me.

As a stop gap measure, I put two brand new seals in while waiting on new differential bearings. I drove the car VERY little. I drove it for about 2 weeks and 2-300 miles then the the new seals blew out. I'm now dropping the trans for a re-build.

I did not think seals could wear / loose their flex so quick.

Do you think that little bit of driving could have worn out the "flex" in the new bearings that soon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.