Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

can a 96 accord go fast?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  91EGGURA 
#1 ·
hello i am logging on for a friend of mine who has a honda. after he saw me fix up my mustang he now has a need for speed so to say. as the title says he has a 96 with the v6 engine. now i dont know a lot about hondas, but i have a feeling he dosnt have the best platform for fast car. i have heard about h22's and b18's... nothing about honda v6's. i know good and well a turbo kit will get him going faster, but he dosnt have the cash for that. i am a mechanic so i will be doing the work for him. in the mustang world a head swap is the best bang for the buck for naturally aspirated power. now i dont know how much more work may or may not be involved seeing as how the heads have cams in them... i think with these engines. but that is a definite possibility. i know the classic cai and headers are the ussual beginner mods, but i know from experience that with these little motors it dosnt do much for seat of the pants feel. my buddy is no speed racer but i dont that thats going to keep him content. if any one has comment on how we may be able to get this car going for a reasonable price im willing to hear any suggestions. it also may be in the cards to trade his car in and buy a decent used honda/acura, if we go that route do you have any suggestions on a good platform that isnt hideous (sorry crx guys)

#2 ·
trade the car for a 4cyl accord and do the h22 swap unless you can do the h22 swap in the v6 car, but i don't think you can because in that gen they designed the v6 front ends different and bigger than the 4cyl, not entirely sure. just google that question and you'll get your answer fast. i've done homework on the issue of dealing with the 6cyl motor and i always read it's much easier dealing with h22 than the 6cyl motors, plus the 6's may have made a bit more power and definitely more torque but they weighed more so it equaled out really. there's really not a great deal of support for the 6cyl, nothing like you'd find with the h22

#3 ·
Well, a cold air intake and exhaust would only add a minimal amount of HP. I don't think a turbo is feasible. It's a transverse-mounted engine so I don't know how one would get the turbo installed on the firewall side or even the radiator side.
NOS would be the simplest way to add power but that may not be street-legal depending on what state you live in.
Any swap is doable with money. It would be a one-off custom job to weld in motor mounts into the engine bay for whatever inline-4 engine he swaps.

#4 · (Edited)
anybody who has ever seen his type of accord in action knows that the engine isn't the issue......it's the tranny...unless you can get yourself a rare manual tranny from an acura, trade your car in. that v6 auto accord is hopeless without a lot of money.......full boltons and you'll still get crushed by kia's running on 3 sparkplugs......it would be pretty cool to see a c27 with a manual swap in there.....if you could get a manual tranny you'd have a completely different car and a rare one at that.

#6 ·
The engine can be turbo'd as easily as any other one. There may not be kits out for them but that doesn't mean you cant do it. As darkness said the problem exists with the automatic trans.

Hell even if you spend a lot of money on a new auto trans, high end transmission oil cooler, inline filters, better auto fluid such as amsoil torque drive or the fluid Allison had castrol make for their transmissions that go in the duramaxx diesel trucks. Its still not going to last. It may get to 50k and just do the normal honda thing with a flashing D light and not shifting etc. Ya never know but it woudl be expensive to say the least. The 5 speed swap would be the cheaper route hands down when you factor in all the excessive work that would need to be done to ATTEMPT to make a Honda transmission support that kind of load.

There is a guy that was making a kit for the V6 accords but I do not know if he still sells them. I think he had a manual trans anyways. Its been a long time since I looked up that crap. The turbo was mounted up front by the radiator if I remember correctly.

#9 ·
The auto transmission is the absolute end all of all accords from that gen believe me don't matter 4 or 6cyl, they're all junk and last 70k miles if you baby them, some last longer but are weak nonetheless, I wouldn't turbo with that trans, that whole v6 setup was crap to begin with. Why put a 200hp v6 motor in an accord when they have 200+hp 4cyl they put in accords around the world?

#10 ·
The auto transmission is the absolute end all of all accords from that gen believe me don't matter 4 or 6cyl, they're all junk and last 70k miles if you baby them, some last longer but are weak nonetheless, I wouldn't turbo with that trans, that whole v6 setup was crap to begin with. Why put a 200hp v6 motor in an accord when they have 200+hp 4cyl they put in accords around the world?
tq maybe? :confused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.