Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Change it.........Don't change it??

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RedWabbit 
#1 ·
So it's that time. Timing belt replacement!! Did a valve adjustment while I was at it, and I finally worked my way down getting the upper and lower timing belt cover off. But then as I was watching that great timing belt replacement video, pulleys came up!! And it made me wonder. I haven't seen anything saying they should be replaced, but that don't mean much. So I needed opinions on the situation. Should I replace the pulleys? Is it neccesary, really?? I'd like to just change the belts, got a whole belt kit from TAS, don't really wanna wait for more parts.

Opinions would be great!!?

1998 Honda Accord, 2.3l, F23a5

#3 ·
I agree if it needs timing belt changed then y not change them for the peace of mind but I don't see them having bearings don't they bolt on I mean bearings are to let things spin if they had bearings the timing belt would never spin with came and crank I say just change the tencioner and it should be good

#5 ·
Update..........Let me know if I should start a new topic..........but I think i need help......or at least peace of mind and approach techniques.

I changed everything... pulleys, tensioners, water pump.........everything seemed to run smoothly.......................the bad..............hmmmmmm...............I guess I read over the part where i was told to remove the temperture sensor, never did it, think....thought...think??its o.k.

Ok, so got everything back together. That ran smoothly..........no issue.

Fear settles in for the start up.........crank.............vroom.......everything is turning and sounding good. No issues..............here's where I have concerns............ The car ran for a while and nothing sounds bad, but I have yet to hear the radiator fan to kick on. Granted i havent driven it around, but I'm afraid to. I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid, but it's been concerning me. the top radiator gets very warm, the bottom leading to the thermastat stays cool. Before startup I topped off the coolant and it has yet to drop down in level. What's the deal??

I'm concerned its the new water pump, but I can't figure why that would be it. And I thought for some reason it would be pretty blatant if that was the issue. Am I right with that assumption? In any case, is there a way for me to check? The only other changed variable besides the timing belt/ water pump change, is I did change the thermastat. And the thermastat that I replaced it with didn't have a breather hole.......like the original................which bugs the shit out of me............................REALLY...............

Any ways..........Please teach!!

#6 ·
the top of the thermostat housing should have a bleeder valve, crack it open and let the air out. turn on the heat inside the car make sure its getting warm. and watch the temp gauge to make sure the car doesn't over heat. I just did the timing belt, water pump, radiator and thermostat on my accord just the other month, it was a pain in the ass.

#7 ·
Ok........opened valve and antifreeze is coming out......................i closed it back up. Is there air behind the fluid or was it supposed to be before.

Does this mean that its at least not my water pump or something............I dread havin to go through all the shit to get back in there!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.