Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Deceleration when gas pedal released?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  clayton 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just get my new Honda Accord Coupe, with 5-speed automatic transmission.

Every time I fully release the gal pedal, I feel kind of sudden deceleration. I used to drive a Chevy and a few other rental cars, I don't remember feeling such obvious deceleration when releasing the gas pedal.

Is it because this is a new car? Will it disappear after break-in? Or there is something wrong?

#2 ·
Why would the engine spin faster when you let off the gas? Am I missing something?

Are you used to automatics? I mean yeah, they decelerate less rapidly than standards, but no car goes faster when you let off the accelerator! I'm amazed I'm even fielding this question.

Engine braking is not the transmission downshifting. It's when you let off the gas, in gear, and the motor spinning slower while engaged through to the wheels, slows the car down. If the trans downshifted, you would accelerate more rapidly. It's pretty basic stuff really. Accelerator = for acceleration. Let off accelerator = car decelerates.

To answer your other questions.. nothing is wrong with your car if it goes slower when you let off the gas. It will not go away when it's broken in.

#4 ·
Thanks for replying. Let's ignore the RPM / downshifting things.

My concern is mainly the deceleration (when I let off the gas pedal) is much more significant than any other car I drive (e.g., Chrysler 300, Buick century, Chevy Impala, these cars tend to move forward at almost a constant speed for a while when I let off the gas pedal). On my new accord it almost feels that someone is braking for me.

#7 ·
Oh shit my bad dude I read "5-speed," and I guess glazed over the automatic part. Idk man I'm not thinking it's anything out of the ordinary though. maybe get a passenger to shoot a short vid? It really threw me when you said you were expecting it to turn higher RPM when you let off the gas..

#8 ·
Sorry about the confusion! Just ignore the RPM things I said (I was trying to say that there is no down-shifting when the deceleration happens).

I can shoot a video but the deceleration is not that obvious (that we can see from a video).

It's kind of subtle. But on the buick and impala I drove, the speed almost remains constant when I let of the gas pedal, but on this accord, I can clearly "feel" the point that the deceleration starts.

#11 ·
I wonder if th OP found out anything. Since you arent supposd to engine brake with an Auto in "D". I had to fix my previous post to make more sense, and include the correct info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.