Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

EGR Replaced, Engine Revving

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kbone 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I have been lurking for a while, but now I need some help. My 01 Accord 2.3L threw a P0401 code earlier this week (250K miles, I know, you're jealous), I replaced the EGR valve, and the code threw again. Now I have removed the Intake Air Chamber (upper portion of the manifold) and cleaned the EGR passages of all the carbon build up (nasty!). After putting everything back together, the engine now rev's from about 1K to 2800K. What could be causing this, the IAC valve?

Before you guy post the search funstion, nothing mentions revving after cleaning the carbon build up...

#2 ·
*******UPDATE********

so I replaced the IAC valve and the MAP sensor, cleaned the throttle body and it is still revving up to about 1800-2000 rpm...anybody got any ideas?

#5 ·
It does not have a FITV, just the IAC. When its cold, it hunts from 1000 - 2800...when it warms up it jumps from 1000 - 1200 quickly... I have tried to check for vacuum leaks, but cannot seem to find any. Could it be possible that I may need to replace the gasket between the IAC and the Manifold itself? I cannot get to can behind the manifold to test for leaks as it is too close to the firewall...

#6 ·
OK Guys, here's a general mechanical tip for you...

When removing the upper chamber of the Intake Manifold, go ahead and spend the $10 to replace the gasket, do not try to reuse it, you will save yourself 2 days of trying to figure out when the damn vacuum leak is...

The problem is resolved, thanx guys!

#8 ·
yeah, the problem was that apparently the leak was on the backside of the manifold, where i could not really spray very well due to the proximity to the firewall. I sprayed around the front without detecting any leaks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.