Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Engine Temperature(No not another why is my car overheating thread)

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  98Type R 
#1 ·
Quick Question, I have spent the last 2 hours looking for a solid answer and the only info I can find is that depending on the thermostat is can open at about 180.

My stock Temperature Gauge has been extremely unpredictable since I purchased this car. I finally went ahead and installed an aftermarket Gauge and since I no longer use the direction my gauge is pointing as an indication on temperature I want to figure out what "normal" operating temperature is.

My car seems to sit comfortably at about 180. Without the cooling fans running I have seen it get up to about 195 when stopped at a light. (FYI the fans are running now I was testing a new sensor unsuccessfully)

It has been cool here in Los Angeles but I expect to see some 110+ days this summer and I'm wondering what temperature is acceptable and what temperature I need to panic and throw on the heater and pull off the road. So in Honda terms... my temperature gauge is pointing up, what temperature is that? lol

At 195 the Car was certainly not overheating, I generally start feeling the head bleed thru the firewall at about 2/3rds. So I would guess that would be more like 220?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.