Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Erratic acceleration - 99 Accord i4

13K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Frisco714 
#1 ·
1999 Accord, 2.3L, LX., manual, 170k miles.

Problem:
The car has erratic acceleration. It would hiccup (lose and regain power). Behavior is the same with car at rest and revving up the engine. No Check Engine Light CEL.

History:
Car lost power on the freeway and was towed to the dealership. The distributor igniter, distributor cap, spark plug, and plug wires were replaced. A week later the car was returned for said “hiccup”. Although the car does not die, the power is erratic. Dealer suspected the fuel pump so it was replaced. After paying the stealer ship $1200 for all said repairs, the car is no better off.

A MAP sensor CEL code later appeared so the MAP sensor was replaced. And since the O2 sensors were old, they too were replaced.

This is where I am now:
Since the idle is erratic, I suspect it could be the Idle Control Valve so I decided to get a new ICV. My research indicates that after replacement of the ICV, the idle has to be reset. I checked for vacuum leak and turned off all accessories. Sprayed carburetor cleaner on throttle body and intake manifold area, and no leaks were found. Ran the engine to operating temperature and disconnected the ICV valve. Adjust the brass screw above the throttle body so the engine rev to 550 rpm. Once the ICV is disconnected, the idle is supposed to go down to the point is would stall. However the opposite happened, rpm went up not down; rpm fluctuates 1100 to 1300. Turning the screw either direction did not affect the rpm.

Could the throttle body be bad? Do I have a vacuum leak somewhere? Could it be the EGR valve?

Any input is much appreciated.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.