Is the F23A1 really that bad??? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 02 Accord EX
Mods: .....
jmal1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
tech wrench Is the F23A1 really that bad???

I have a 02 Accord EX 4cyl Man and I looked on a post and it seems like I have the F23A1 VTEC engine.

I've been reading around and everyone seems to be downing this engine for a H22 swap and others, but my question is why is this engine so bad? I have a K&N drop in Filter and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and on a dyno, I have 136 HP and 142 tq at the wheels ( like 162 HP and 164 tq in the engine <estimate> ). I plan to do a CAI, and headers in the future, plus maybe a few more bolt ons to try and get me up to like 175+ HP. I also figure that there could be more that I can do to get me up in the 200 range.

For a nice 4dr sedan with a large trunk for some subs, a power when you need it, it seems like the accord is almost perfect.

But enough of the talk, what makes this engine so bad?

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Re: Is the F23A1 really that bad???

Quote:
Originally posted by jmal1919
I have a 02 Accord EX 4cyl Man and I looked on a post and it seems like I have the F23A1 VTEC engine.

I've been reading around and everyone seems to be downing this engine for a H22 swap and others, but my question is why is this engine so bad? I have a K&N drop in Filter and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and on a dyno, I have 136 HP and 142 tq at the wheels ( like 162 HP and 164 tq in the engine <estimate> ). I plan to do a CAI, and headers in the future, plus maybe a few more bolt ons to try and get me up to like 175+ HP. I also figure that there could be more that I can do to get me up in the 200 range.

For a nice 4dr sedan with a large trunk for some subs, a power when you need it, it seems like the accord is almost perfect.

But enough of the talk, what makes this engine so bad?
lack of aftermarket parts to give it power. the h22 has a slew of parts...i have almost 200whp all motor out of my h22 :

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: None:(
Mods:
PlayaWhyUHatin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is the F23A1 really that bad???

Quote:
I have 136 HP and 142 tq at the wheels ( like 162 HP and 164 tq in the engine <estimate> ). But enough of the talk, what makes this engine so bad?
ummm, accords are quite the fatty's you know, and that HP isnt much. Plus the aftermarket.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Silver

I noticed that about the aftermarket parts, that they are mostly for civics, acs, and such, but is that it? I figure with time, there will be more parts for my car.

headers, cams, throttle bodies, high flow cats, are already availiable.

Do you think I am bullshit when I say that its possible to get my engine to put out 200 HP, because my friend doesn't belive me?

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

Old 03-09-2003, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Mods:
200 WHP without FI, hell no.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Silver

sorry 200 engine HP, not at the wheel.

I figure that the trans on the accord isn't as efficient as other ( more sport like ) cars.

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

Old 03-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Silver

UltraMagneticAL what did you do to your motor to get 200 WHP?

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

Old 03-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
he has an h22.....save your money and do a swap...the h22 has a lot more of an aftermarket and some serious potential

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Old 03-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Mods:
Quote:
sorry 200 engine HP, not at the wheel.

I figure that the trans on the accord isn't as efficient as other ( more sport like ) cars.
efficient? well, its a heavy ass sedan intended to be used as a family car and strives for excellent gas milage.(not dissin them.) So the gears are long and not meant for acceleration.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
gearing isn't as big a problem as no hp and weighing a ton and a half.......

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Old 03-09-2003, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Quote:
Originally posted by fizzbob7
he has an h22.....save your money and do a swap...the h22 has a lot more of an aftermarket and some serious potential
yeap...h22 and a bunch of other toys inside but 200whp still feels like shit in a heavy ass 4door 6gen...i still lack high torque levels to move the car off the line...but damn, once i'm movin, it's movin hehehe :

Old 03-10-2003, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
SH Silver

yeah I know the accord is heavy, but that doesn't really matter to me, since no matter what car I get, I'm adding at least a 120 pounds in stereo equip.

Still, no one has given me a good answer besides the aftermarket parts. I'm looking for tech reasons, displacement, compression, etc...

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
here's your tech reason....it's SOHC...meaning the cam profile can never be as aggressive as a DOHC...the compression ratio is i think 9:1 which is pretty respectable, but not really the best to turbo, nor is it the best to build for NA...it kinda sits right in the middle. as for displacement, it's a 2.3L. well, that's cool for torque...but if you wanna build a high revving motor, the rod to stroke ratio just isn't the best. it would have to be destroked to about 2.1...even 2.0L for some high output, high revving action, but then you lose torque in the big ass car. what else do you want to know?

Old 03-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
SH Silver

I'm sort of getting it now, but what I didn't understand is why do I need to be down in the 2.0L range to have a high reving monster?

Also I figure with a aftermarket stage 1 cam or so, to keep my daily drive in tack, CAI/H/E and possibly more ( bolt ons ), I could get my heavy ass car to be a contender. May not be a V8 killer, but definitely a V6 killer.

By the way, thanks for the info, and I'm sorry if I am pissin anyone off.

Swap DEZ NUTZ!

Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
evac is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got an F22 on a 91 lx which means I started at 125 horsepower. I've got a holed-out cat, muffler, cai, header, aem pullies and I've advanced my timing by 3 degrees and I run 93 octane fuel. On top of all this I've got a heavy soundsystem in the trunk.
Ok, here's the deal, this car, with nearly 190,000 miles kicks some serious ass for what it is.
My friends and I occasionally race on a deserted service road at an insurance company. Here are the cars I can consistantly beat, you can make your own judgments from this:

2000 Subaru Imprezea 2.5 RS-mods:muffler

1990 Civic CRX-mods:aem intake, high flow cat, muffler, header

1993 Honda Civic EX-mods:aem cai, header, muffler.

The F22 is worthy. Check out airdynamicracing.com for really cheap parts for the accord.
I got cai, muffler, header for $350.00

If it comes down to it, turbo it or do some gude camshafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement