how much to replace crank pulley? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: '99 Honda Accord Ex Sedan CG6
Mods:
DigitalOutkast will become famous soon enough
how much to replace crank pulley?

My mom friend is a mechanic and told me that he'll hook it up for doing my timing belt all i have to do is pay for parts and he'll charge 50 for labor. well now i notice my crank pulley vibrates alot and the sh!t is that the dude move out of state now and i can't have him fix it for free. So how much is it gonna cost me to replace the crank pulley and the bolt? hoping that the only problem with the car right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: '97 Accord EX & '98 F150 4x4 ext cab Lariat
Mods:
spray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whore
Check your harmonic balancer. Im not sure whether its a one piece unit w/ the crank pulley or not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
harmonic balancer? you mean like the balance shafts? hmmm....maybe when he replaced the belts, he didn't set them in "time" with the rest of the motor? or maybe the crank pulley bolt is loose?

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Virus

Mods:
spray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whore
Crank pulley belt? Do you mean the timing belt? You dont have to set an engine accessory belt any special way, unless Hondas are just plain weird.
Yeah harmonic balancer, they might have some other term in the import world, but essentially it dampens all the vibrations in the crank shaft. When lookin on my 97 4 banger Accord, there are two pulleys attached to the crank, the largest one looks to be the harmonic balancer. It has a pulley grooves on the outside for a belt, but from I saw, it was solid.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...monic+balancer

Thats what a typical one looks like. Imagine that will pulley grooves wrapped around the outside.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
oops, i meant crank pulley bolt not belt.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
klnyc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I thought honda dont use HB. They use balance shaft no? Only those good old US of A muscle use HB
Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 93 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Its all debatable and not really for sure. I inspected my crank pulley and whatever rubber (dampening) that was on there was about as good as dried and hard as rock can get.

So I doubt its really doing any sort of dampening...but then again who knows. Also a CNC machined piece of metal is pretty much perfectly balanced as thats how its made....by spinning in place to create a perfect circle.

Some think its an engine killer, some dont. I would get whatever is cheapest and im sure the performance one is. Check out unorthodox pullies. I have those, havent had any trouble.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: '99 Honda Accord Ex Sedan CG6
Mods:
DigitalOutkast will become famous soon enough
i really don't care if it performance or not. but i check the bolt it not loose but when i start the engine the pully wobbles alot.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
well the pulley has the belts for your accessories....so check if they're all situated in the right spots.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Virus

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sho
I inspected my crank pulley and whatever rubber (dampening) that was on there was about as good as dried and hard as rock can get.

So I doubt its really doing any sort of dampening...but then again who knows. Also a CNC machined piece of metal is pretty much perfectly balanced as thats how its made....by spinning in place to create a perfect circle.

Some think its an engine killer, some dont. I would get whatever is cheapest and im sure the performance one is. Check out unorthodox pullies. I have those, havent had any trouble.

That would be your harmonic balancer. All engines regardless of being balanced or not have to have some sort of damper. I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, when your cylinder fires it puts off some sort of vibration that of course goes through out your rods and crank. Harmonic balancers or fluid dampers eliminate that vibration and save your bottom end. Otherwise your bearings would be shot to shit if you didnt.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car:
Mods:
krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?krazykloudz you're still here?
My last car was a cavalier, and it had balance shafts. It's one of those "free" mods to take them out... but of course the engine had a decent increase in power from the freed rotational resistance, but at the same time I sacrificed noise and comfort, because through the stock motor mounts I could hear the engine vibrate when sitting at a light... but my mustang had a harmonic dampener, so I'm not sure which honda has, i haven't really played around with my car enough yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement