How to reset SRS Light - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 2000 Honda Accord
Mods: Too many to mention
rjchua is an unknown quantity at this point
How to reset SRS Light

My SRS light came on after I installed my indiglo gauges. Is there a way to reset this without going through the Honda dealer? They were going to charge me $88 to diagnose and fix, and then she said that it would come on again, after they fix it...(I didn't really believe the service rep)

Anyone with info please help!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2002, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1996 Honda Accord
Mods: Aem CAI, Airmass warlock system Catback, Jet Performance Vforce Module, NGK Spark plug wires, Nakayama front stut bar, Custom Blue painted interior(still in progress) Engine Mesh Dress-up kit, Blue Alum Bezel, Blue Aluminin Engine dress-up kit
Honda530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe you disconnected your airbag some how which is what srs means in lame man terms. Id check out all your yellow connections and check the airbag fuse as well. Maybe you could try reseting you ecu be removing hte negative battery cable, but i doubt teh problem lies here.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2006 Infiniti G35
Mods:
k67p67 will become famous soon enough
Pretty sure the SRS light came on because you unplugged your gauge cluster. Use the search feature as this topic has been covered many times. Should post a sticky for the DIY.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
KIMistry is an unknown quantity at this point
This needs to be a sticky. I've replied to this type of question like 100 x... moderator?

here ya go:

dood, dont take it to the dealership!

seriously it's REALLY REALLY EASY.

here's from my old post on accord company:

Here's the answer (which I came upon after MUCH research).
You CAN reset the SRS light yourself. I've done it. In fact, I don't even think there's too much to worry about when doing this procedure. There's a link below that takes you to the Prelude Service Manual and how to reset the SRS light, but the same applies to the accord so don't worry. You can reach the MES control on the accord by going UNDER the driver side dash. If you look on the other side of the driver side fuse box in the foot well, you should be able to see this yellow tab with 2 wires sticking into it. The rest of the instructions are below. And yes you can use a paperclip. Another thing to note, if the SRS light came on becuz of a direct SRS defect, then doing this procedure wont fuq nething up (i think). if there's a problem, then this procedure just wont work and the light will remain on. I've done it and so have other people. HOpe this helps. On another note, does anyone know how to recalibrate their fuel needle? anyone have a honda service manual?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292043029
Old 08-31-2002, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
O.K., here is the DIY for resetting the memory for your SRS Light. Your SRS Light may trigger and remain illuminated for several reasons. Some of which are:
Unplugging your gauge cluster
Unplugging your SRS harness(es) when you remove your seats
Unplugging any other SRS plugs and turning your ignition on

This DIY is intended ONLY for resetting your SRS Indicator Light when it is triggered for the reasons listed above. Your SRS Light may indicate a more serious problem that should be evaluated by your local Authorized Honda/Acura Technician. Remember, that airbag may save your life or the life of someone you care about so don't disregard that indicator light unless you are sure that it triggered for some other reason. That being said, here are some pics and instructions for resetting the SRS Light (note: These pics are from a 6th Gen Accord EX Coupe 4AT. The MES plug may be located in a different location on other models. Make sure you know what you are unplugging. There are no contacts inside the port that the MES Plug plugs into.)

Tools needed:
Flashlight (if needed to search for MES Plug under dash)
2 1/2 ft. piece of small gauge speaker wire (insulation stripped off ends)

(1) Locate MES Plug. It should be located near the driver's side fuse panel under the dash. The harness is yellow with two wires.

(2) Unplug the MES Plug. It should look like this.

(3) Insert one end of speaker wire into MES Plug (one wire in each contact)

(4) Follow this sequence of shorting the other two leads of the speaker wire and turning the ignition to "on" (not accessory, not start)

-Short and hold the leads while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will come back on.
-Short and hold the wires again. The SRS Light will go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will blink twice.
-Turn the ignition off.
-Start engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.
(4a) This series of shorting/unshorting needs to take place within a 4 second window of the SRS Light going on/off each time.

(5) Sound easy enough? Should take 15 seconds or so for the whole procedure. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1996 AccoRd LX Sedan
Mods:
AcCoRd DoRiFtU is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno..but i like the srs light there..ahhaha..i dun got airbags

Ride: 04 Accord 2door EX
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
bonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud of
anyone know where that MES control plug is at in the 5th gen accords?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2002, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Car:
Mods:
AccordRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya, I also need the SRS light fix for the 5th generation. I had my whole interior pulled for dying. And my SRS light wont go off now.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Have you looked under your dash to see if there is a plug that looks the one in the 6th gen? I would look for a two-wire yellow harness. There are no electrical contacts in the port that the MES plug plugs into (only in the plug itself).
Old 09-27-2002, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
nameistan is an unknown quantity at this point
i know where its at... its right at the bottom of the end of the plastic interior far left side.. there's a yellow plug thats connected to nothing.. it will have 2 gray wires connected to it.. i tried this and it dont work for me.. it even blinked twice.. dunno whats wrong.. tell if ya'll other 5 gens work..
Old 09-27-2002, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
nameistan is an unknown quantity at this point
nevermind.. it works now.. turns out on of the airbag plug was loose.. but it works.. =).. i can now drive with confidence.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1995 Honda Accord LX
Mods:
zdimka is an unknown quantity at this point
i was told u cant diy

im sure these guys know more then me, but i was told you can't DIY and take off the SRS light, and i know that mechanics dont have the "key" to do it. my srs was on too, so i went to the dealer to have it fixed (mom made me), and when they were fucking with it the airbags exploded, and they replaced the whole system and everything included for FREE!!!!!!

maybe you'll get lucky too.. who knows
Old 10-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
I am absolutely positive that you can reset the memory for the SRS. I have done it several times. But, like I said before, you should ALWAYS take the SRS warning light seriously. You should only use the DIY if you know you triggered the light because you unplugged an SRS harness, removed the seats, took out the gauge cluster, or something of that nature. If you haven't done any work on your car recently and the light comes on and stays on, you should have it checked out by the dealer.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 94 civic ex coupe
Mods: skyline r33 front bumper, coilovers, intake, MSD wires, DC sports short shifter, Clutchmasters stage 1 clutch, panasonic cd player, boston acoustic pro components, two 12" JBL subs,MTX 300watt amp, Falken Azenis tires, clear corners, superwhites
toymachineracin is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a civic and i had the same problem...instead of doing what i should've and gone to SHO and asked you guys, i just uncliped the sensor on the back of my gauges....
not smart? probably....

Old 10-18-2002, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
I'm not sure if your airbag is disabled when the SRS Light is on. If that's the case, you're putting yourself in harm's way by just unplugging the harness. It's a really easy process to reset it (15 seconds or so). Give it a try and see if it comes back on. If it does, I'd take it to the dealer to diagnose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement