I Overfilled My A/C , its says Alert on Gauage - What To Do? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
crossover37 is an unknown quantity at this point
I Overfilled My A/C, its Red on the gauge "May Have Mechanical Problem" - What To Do?

Ok so here is the story:

The A/C on my 2000 Honda Accord wasnt blowing out cold air anymore so on the way home from work I stopped and bought some refrigerant r-134a and put it in. The a/c was working fine after that but because I didnt buy a gauage I didnt know how much was in there. After a few days the a/c wasnt blowing cold air anymore so i went to buy more refrigerant but this time with a gauge to see how much was in there. When I put the gauge on the valve it went in the red zone which is like 65 psi, it was a little past the red zone and close to the yellow zone (Alert). Because there was such a high psi I decided not to put more in and returned the can of r-134a. What should I do because now the a/c doesnt work and I think I have too much refrigerant in there and its on the "Mechanical problems may be present" ... i dont hear the loud noise from the compressor and the hot to cold switch works fine, should I just press the needle on the valve to let some out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 94 Camaro z28
Mods:
user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?user12 you're still here?
yes bleed some out

BUT WATCH OUT and keep your face away from that crap - 134 and OIL will come out.

get it back down to normal levels and see what happens then.

Is the compressor running when your AC is blowing? sounds like it stopped blowing cold air and you just assumed it was low on 134 and kept filling it and filling it. I think it stopped blowing cold air for another reason (maybe a pressure sensor)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
crossover37 is an unknown quantity at this point
ill let some out but i will check the compressor to see if the belt is turning when the a/c is turned on because if it isnt then that means the compressor is dead right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12 View Post
yes bleed some out

BUT WATCH OUT and keep your face away from that crap - 134 and OIL will come out.

get it back down to normal levels and see what happens then.

Is the compressor running when your AC is blowing? sounds like it stopped blowing cold air and you just assumed it was low on 134 and kept filling it and filling it. I think it stopped blowing cold air for another reason (maybe a pressure sensor)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Black Hole

Car:
Mods:
ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?ezeedee you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
ill let some out but i will check the compressor to see if the belt is turning when the a/c is turned on because if it isnt then that means the compressor is dead right?
the belt will always turn, you need to see if the clutch is engaging. it will usually do about a 50% duty cycle (a few seconds on, a few seconds off) if it clicks on then off right away (a second or so) and stays off for a few seconds, or doesnt come on at all, you could have a bad switch, bad pressure sensors (wont let the compressor engage if not enough pressure is detected in the lines)

good luck
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
b18b1civic is on a distinguished road
Yeah, have it recycled into a collection thing, or bleed it out, just don't get caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement