Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Need 96 Accord TDI Engine in USA

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nusdogg 
#1 ·
How do I get a Diesel Accord Engine to the USA? WHo will send me one?

#3 ·
I didn't know Diesel Accord engine exist? Why not just get an H22?
because you're a noob :p

No it's a 2.2 turbo diesel engine. makes like 250 lbs of tq by 2500 rpms and like 140 hp...they got like 96 mpg in the test cars....they were supposed to come here in 2009 but got scraped for some reason.

but to the OP it's not easy to get nor is it easy to install.

#5 ·
no it's not.

Under the Hood: The 2.2 i-CTDi Engine
"Honda Civic i-CTDi dashboard"

Euro-spec Civic uses a split-level dash, just like the US-spec Civic, but the layout is a bit different and the rest of the interior looks quite a bit more sharp
Photo © Aaron Gold

Europeans love diesels. Not only do diesel cars go further on a gallon of fuel than their gasoline counterparts, but diesel fuel is cheaper than gas in many European countries. Honda was a relative latecomer to the diesel game -- in Europe, just like in the States, they concentrated on super-fuel-efficient gasoline engines -- but they eventually got on board, first buying third-party diesels and then developing their own.
The Civic I drove is powered by Honda's 2.2 liter i-CTDi diesel, predecessor of the 2.2i i-DTEC (the "clean" diesel that Honda had considered bringing to the United States). The i-CTDi first appeared in the European-market Accord (similar to our Acura TSX), and was added to the Civic range in 2006. 2.2 liters makes it a rather large engine for a car the size of the Civic; most of the Civic's rivals use 1.9 or 2.0 liter diesels. Output is 138 horsepower, and as with most diesels, the torque is significantly higher -- 250 lb-ft. (For comparison, the 1.8 liter gasoline engine used in the US-spec Civic puts out 140 hp but only 128 lb-ft.) According to Honda, the diesel-powered Civic goes from 0-100 km/h (62 MPH) in 8.6 seconds -- 0.3 seconds faster than a Euro Civic with the 140 hp gasoline engine. Official fuel economy figures for the i-CTDi with the 6-speed manual transmission are 35 MPG in the urban cycle (similar to the EPA's city cycle), 53 MPG in the extra-urban cycle, and 45 MPG combined. Carbon dioxide emissions -- Europeans pay attention to that kind of thing -- are also lower: 135 grams per kilometer vs. 152 for the 140 hp gas motor.

#8 ·
Can you imagine dropping one into a CRX Hf? Lightweight, uber gas mileage, and would have some decent power behind it...err in front of it.

Kind of makes me want one.

To the OP, try asking companies that import the JDM motors. I occasionally see them import Euro spec motors. My guess would be it would cost about as much as most JDM GSR or H22 motors cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.