Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

power steering fluid bubbling out of reservoir

20K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  meterman 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum and hope someone has seen this before. I've got a 2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 with 160K on it. It's been maintained regularly with regards to fluid changes and maintenance.

I just noticed a puddle of oil on the ground next to the front right tire under the car. After checking out where it could be coming from I noticed there was a lot of power steering fluid under the reservoir. I also noticed the reservoir was low. I cleaned up all the fluid under the reservoir, cleaned the hoses and filled the reservoir.

When I started the car I expected to see fluid coming from the hose but instead I saw the power steering fluid bubbling from the reservoir. It was able to seep out from under the cap that was pushed down all the way. Since there are bubbles I must be getting air into a hose somewhere but I see no other leaks.

the fluid leaks to just under the MINIMUM line and stays there. The fluid does not bubble out after this.

Has anyone ever seen this and know what the problem is. I assume it's the power steering pump.

Lastly, there is a noise like a bearing or squelching belt when I first start it up. the car also seems to drive fine.

thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm suspecting a leak somewhere. I've had the same thing happen due to a leak. Took me awhile but I traced all the hoses back and found a small leak. Air in the hoses cause the fluid to bubble up and become frothy, once the fluid gets low it won't overflow. Check all your hoses and connection points for a possible leak, sometimes it's easy to overlook. Let me know how you make out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.