Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Self adjusting brake?

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MortsAccord 
#1 ·
Do 04 accord lx coupes have self adjusting parking brakes? my brakes tend to jerk after I hit the pedal because the rear brakes need adjusting. The mechanic where I work told me that backing up and hitting the brakes hard enough to rock the car a little will make the parking adjust itself. Each car is supposed to vary in how many times it takes to do it. But I just got my oil changed, and the mechanic told me that it doesn't work on newer cars. I trust crackheads more than I trust a mechanic that has my car on the rack. So I figured I'd ask the forum which is where I've seen the most good advice. do accords have self adjusting parking brakes or do I have to adjust them manually?

#2 ·
Your car has rear drum brakes? Mechanic = crazy? If its a "newer" car why would they put in a system that would make the self adjuster NOT work? why would they switch to obsolete technology? hahah doesn't make any sense.

Yes, getting up to about 10 mph in reverse and engaging the brakes hard should make the self adjuster turn a star gear and automatically tension your drum brakes. This should reduce pedal travel, and also reduce the amount of pull needed to engage the parking brake.

So do your brakes do this all the time or just when you have used the parking brake?

EDIT: just checked your car does have drum brakes.
Check this out:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14sdn01_b19.png
piece 29, turns piece 20 when you go in reverse and apply the brakes and there is too much play. its the same setup tahts been used for years, the mechanic is a twat.

A way to check is remove the tire, and then try to remove the drum, if it comes off extremely easily then the shoes aren't in close proximity to the drum. a car that new shouldn't have such a lip on the drum that it makes taking the drum off a PITA. it should be a pretty close tolerance fit though. if its not, you can put the drum back on. In the picture shown there is a plug you can take out to manually adjust the star gear with a simple tool called a screwdriver. :D

#4 ·
A way to check is remove the tire, and then try to remove the drum, if it comes off extremely easily then the shoes aren't in close proximity to the drum. a car that new shouldn't have such a lip on the drum that it makes taking the drum off a PITA. it should be a pretty close tolerance fit though. if its not, you can put the drum back on. In the picture shown there is a plug you can take out to manually adjust the star gear with a simple tool called a screwdriver. :D
why would you take the plug out and make things hard on yourself while you got the drum off and the star wheel adjuster is right there in front of you? :hehe

#3 ·
It was obvious that the mechanic mistook me for someone who didn't know better. Their hustlers with their names sewn on their shirts. I expected to encounter that getting my oil changed at a brake shop. I figured it had the self adjusting brakes, I just wasn't positive about the method of doing it.like how fast I was supposed to go or if I was supposed to brake with the pedal or the parking brake lever. I pretty much never use the parking brake, and it happens whenever I use the brakes. The tension in the pedal feels normal, but it'll jerk all of a sudden when the rear brakes kick in. give myself whiplash in traffic.

#7 ·
gotta have money first. heh it was a minor inconvenience that wasn't worth the cost to turn it down, so i ground a rounded profile on the square like lip with a file i had laying around. It allows me to get it on and off now, but its still a pain. Id rather just get this thing fully operational and buy a CRX with disk brakes and what not. Mines an 87, id like a second gen at least, if not a 90 or 91.

Its only job is to drive me 25 miles a day. nothing more until I get shit done to other cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.