Squealing noise in a 1994 Accord LX - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1994 Honda Accord LX
Mods: The Car is stock for now with minor mods not worth listing. WILL CHANGE THEE ENTIRE VEHICLE.
Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?
Squealing noise in a 1994 Accord LX

There's a loud squealing noise coming from the under drive pulleys in my car. The sound seems to originate from the pulley belts. At first I thought it was the power steering belt that was making the noise. So I put a new power steering belt and the car is still making the noise loud as ever. I did have an oil spill in my car because somebody stole my oil cap and I drove off without it. The next time I opened my hood I saw a complete mess with oil all over the pulleys. I recently cleaned the pulleys 3 times thoroughly with engine degrease and spraying it down with water. The noise seems to disappear when I spray the pulleys with water while the car is running but comes right back as soon as I stop spraying it with water.
When I drive my car it squeals when I have it in gear. The higher the rpms the louder the noise. If I put it in neutral and rev the car the noise goes away for a little while. I dont have any power steering fluid because it all leaked out of the car a months ago but this noise just recently started and it seems to be getting worse.

Help would be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy
Mods:
hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!
timing belt or bad bearings in the alternator or power steering
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
are you kidding me? you sprayed water on a running motor :facepalm I know you were trying to figure it out, but thats not a good idea man

do you have AC? check the tensioner

running without PS fluid? you fucked your PS pump, most likely cause of the sound.

hotsauce, why say timing belt? neutral revs=less load=less noise? i dunno man, i never heard a timing belt make noise unless its damaged/flapping around while teh valves are being bent lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1991 Accord
Mods: JDM F22B DOHC/Delta 260 regrind/Wiseco 85.5mm 11:1 pistons/Megan 4-2-1 header/AEM CAI/Apexi WS2 catback exhaust//Bisimoto 8.9lb flywheel/JDM M2A4 tranny
91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere
As stated, it might be your PS pump due to you running it with no fluid. I would just remove the PS pump all together and see if that lessens/gets rid of the noise.

While you are checking the tension on the AC, I would also do the same with the Alternator as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
dont remove the PS pump, thats a foolish suggestion. maybe you meant the PS belt?

just remove the AC and PS belts, and check the alternator belt like 91accord suggested
Quote:
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Mods: The Car is stock for now with minor mods not worth listing. WILL CHANGE THEE ENTIRE VEHICLE.
Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?Greatness What did you do to deserve all this rep?
I'm going to remove the power steering system. I was going to replace it with a manual rack and pinion system anyways. Someone also suggested it may be loose pulleys.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
why would you remove the powersteering system? thats stupid, all that effort for 1.2 horsepower and 0.000001 mpg better

:facepalm
Quote:
Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
why would you remove the powersteering system? thats stupid, all that effort for 1.2 horsepower and 0.000001 mpg better

:facepalm
Not for the horsepower or gas mileage
I hate power steering. I like the feel of the road and control I have without. It feels like Im steering the car not the fluid.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
honda powersteering isnt as great as people think, you feel the road plenty with it

maybe if the system was similar to a cadillac, then I would agree to go for it, but hell, even the NSX had power steering, and that car was designed for handling
Quote:
Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

I found out it was the alternating belt causing the noise. So im going to go ahead and change the belt.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
good deal
Quote:
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
good deal
thx guys I appreciate the help
Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1991 Accord
Mods: JDM F22B DOHC/Delta 260 regrind/Wiseco 85.5mm 11:1 pistons/Megan 4-2-1 header/AEM CAI/Apexi WS2 catback exhaust//Bisimoto 8.9lb flywheel/JDM M2A4 tranny
91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere91Accord-lx In the rep troposphere
Sorry, I did mean the PS belt NOT the pump. lol

Greatness- I would just leave it hooked up and run it. About the only thing losing the PS on it would do is make it a little harder to turn and not fun to parallel park. When I removed mine, I felt NO difference in "feeling the road". I actually put it back on a week later.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
yeah, that's what I was getting at. its basically a parking assist stealing nearly zero power
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement