Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Transmission Conversion

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sosracer 
#1 ·
I'm looking to do a Manual transmission conversion to Automatic. That's right you heard me. 5 Speed to Automatic. I'm giving my 6Gen Accord to a family member and she prefer for it to be a lame automatic. Talk about beggers being choosers...wtf. I guess i'm bored and dont mind getting my hands dirty as to why i would be doing this.
I've been looking all over the net to find a write up and pics, with no luck,

car is a 4 door sedan 2.3.

Question
1. Do i need a different ECU/Harness setup
to control the Automatic Trans

2. would i need to modify (ie drill new holes, weld,) transmission mounting locations

I would appreciate if you guyz can assist me or point me in the right direction. Thanks

#2 ·
why would you want to throw in a transmission thats known for being faulty? Suppose you could use the 94-97 auto, but then you'd need that ecu for the right shift points and a SAFC to get the A/F right..

Anyhow as for ECU, yes you'll need one off of a 98-02 4 cylinder automatic. you'll also need to modify the engine harness to accomodate the auto tranny sensors as well as add new wires to the harness to the ecu. And since the accords have an immobilizer, that means either grab the key, immobilizer ring and ecu off of one car and use that to run the car, or a trip to the stealer to have the key programmed to the ecu..

Grab the instructions on how to swap from auto to manual, and reverse engineer the instructions. you probably could keep the manual pedals though.. just the clutch pedal would be useless.

Would be cheaper and simpler to just buy her her own autotragic accord or teach her to drive stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.