Turbo F22B Engine? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
TeamMecca is an unknown quantity at this point
Turbo F22B Engine?

I guess this trend would probably start sometimes, if the H22 swap TREND will ever stop.
But anyways I guess its a good idea to turbo this engine since its cheaper way to do and having more hp gains than doing the H22 swap. Im not trying to flame any of you H22 swappers...but for me as a cheap mofo, I cant afford the H22. So anyways my mind is set for the turbo as of right now.
My question is, what's the difference between turbo on an F22B1 engine and turbo on an F22B2 engine. Besides the fact that the F22B1 engine is the VTec engine and it has more hp. Is there a big difference, regardless the hp matter? Can the F22B2 non-vtec engine handle the turbo as good as the F22B1 vtec engine? Does F-Max make turbo for F22B2 non-vtec engine?
Should I just forget the turbo and swap H22?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 95 EX
Mods: CAI/H/E/PS Pulley/High Flow Cat/V-AFC/JDM H22
AccordSleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
It may be cheaper than an H22 swap, but to have done right it's by no means cheap. The nice thing about the H22 swap is, reliabilty. You pay more $$ up front, but as long as you get a good motor and a good install you should be problem free.

imo, It seems that turbos in the long will be more of a money pit especially if the motor blows. Also I don't see how reliable turboing a motor with 100k+ is going to be. I'm pretty confident my H22 will last me.

.02$
Old 12-18-2002, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1996 Honda Accord
Mods: Aem CAI, Airmass warlock system Catback, Jet Performance Vforce Module, NGK Spark plug wires, Nakayama front stut bar, Custom Blue painted interior(still in progress) Engine Mesh Dress-up kit, Blue Alum Bezel, Blue Aluminin Engine dress-up kit
Honda530 is an unknown quantity at this point
The fmax turbo kit is like 3-4000 bucks cheap huh
H22a with tranny under 30k from hondamotors online is 2400 now you tel me which is cheaper you can add in a 1000 bucks for install. Id say h22a swap even though a turbo is sweet. Unless you wanna go the route of custom making the manifold and buying pieces seperatley. With a turbo you have to change the oil out more reguraly and use ony 92 ocatane gas. So in teh long run the turbo is gonna cost you. With a all motor h22a youd be able to get pretty quick like low 15s 14s pretty easy depending on parts.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
You forgot to mention the gains from a turbo,
which is 70 to 100 hp in gains...
with H22 you gain only about 50 the least...
the cost of a turbo is almost the same as the cost of an H22, if can install the turbo yourself, but if you can install the H22 yourself its much better, but as for my lazy ass I cant install the engine, and Im not gonna learn to.
But as you also mentioned the hassle from having a turbo is a bitch.
So I'll shut myself up.
Hey AccordSleeper, how much did you spend on your engine?
How much of a difference in hp, from your previous engine?
Whats your 1/4 mile time, and your kill lists?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamMecca
You forgot to mention the gains from a turbo,
which is 70 to 100 hp in gains...
with H22 you gain only about 50 the least...
the cost of a turbo is almost the same as the cost of an H22, if can install the turbo yourself, but if you can install the H22 yourself its much better, but as for my lazy ass I cant install the engine, and Im not gonna learn to.
But as you also mentioned the hassle from having a turbo is a bitch.
So I'll shut myself up.
Hey AccordSleeper, how much did you spend on your engine?
How much of a difference in hp, from your previous engine?
Whats your 1/4 mile time, and your kill lists?
I doubt you can get 70-100hp on stock internals. I don't really think having a turbo is more of a hassle cause with an H22 you should be running 91 or better and running synthetic oil with regular changing. The biggest hassle with a turbo is tuning and hoping your motor is in good shape to hold up.

I bought my engine back in March for 2,550 shipped. I went from 145 to 197 hp. I have yet to run the 1/4 mile, I don't feel like tooling on my car. I may this spring though. As far as kills just a IS300 and a Chevy Extreme. Honestly I really can't get people to mess with me cause usually there is too much traffic or they are riceboys and rather pimp. I have surprised the shit out of many people before though with how fast I can leave them from a 40mph roll.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
98AccordEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by AccordSleeper
I doubt you can get 70-100hp on stock internals. I don't really think having a turbo is more of a hassle cause with an H22 you should be running 91 or better and running synthetic oil with regular changing. The biggest hassle with a turbo is tuning and hoping your motor is in good shape to hold up.

I bought my engine back in March for 2,550 shipped. I went from 145 to 197 hp. I have yet to run the 1/4 mile, I don't feel like tooling on my car. I may this spring though. As far as kills just a IS300 and a Chevy Extreme. Honestly I really can't get people to mess with me cause usually there is too much traffic or they are riceboys and rather pimp. I have surprised the shit out of many people before though with how fast I can leave them from a 40mph roll.
i am making 221hp and 238ft/lbs on stock internals on an F23 which has higher compression than the F22. so the F22 is more "boost friendly". thats well over a 70hp gain. close to a 100hp gain. over an H22 which would put me at 165hp and 145ft/lbs to the wheels. so for $4k would you rather have a turboed F23 making over 200hp and 200ft/lbs or an H22 making 165hp and 145ft/lbs? you'll run the same octane fuel and same oil in both. you have room to adjust the power with the press of a buttom (or turn of a screw) on the boost controller. if you have gobs of money to spend then get an H22 and build it. an H22 cant handle boost very well at all. but its good for NA. by the way, i have 97,000 miles on my car running synthtic oil and 10 lbs of boost and no leaks at all. take care of it and you wont have problems

i never raced my friend with a Prelude but i could stay right beside him if not beat him when i was running 6 lbs. if we would have raced i could have turned it up and smoked him while he couldnt do a thing

run 6 lbs. you barely lose. then turn it up to 10 lbs and kick his ass
Old 12-18-2002, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by 98AccordEX
i am making 221hp and 238ft/lbs on stock internals on an F23 which has higher compression than the F22. so the F22 is more "boost friendly". thats well over a 70hp gain. close to a 100hp gain. over an H22 which would put me at 165hp and 145ft/lbs to the wheels. so for $4k would you rather have a turboed F23 making over 200hp and 200ft/lbs or an H22 making 165hp and 145ft/lbs? you'll run the same octane fuel and same oil in both. you have room to adjust the power with the press of a buttom (or turn of a screw) on the boost controller. if you have gobs of money to spend then get an H22 and build it. an H22 cant handle boost very well at all. but its good for NA. by the way, i have 97,000 miles on my car running synthtic oil and 10 lbs of boost and no leaks at all. take care of it and you wont have problems

i never raced my friend with a Prelude but i could stay right beside him if not beat him when i was running 6 lbs. if we would have raced i could have turned it up and smoked him while he couldnt do a thing

Hey how much did you pay for your turbo?
What brand is it, or is it custom made?
How much have you spent on your engine, minus the turbo?
New Pistons, Engine work, All the necessary engine mods to hang with the turbo?
I mean major stuff...
Holla back youngin!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamMecca
Hey how much did you pay for your turbo?
What brand is it, or is it custom made?
How much have you spent on your engine, minus the turbo?
New Pistons, Engine work, All the necessary engine mods to hang with the turbo?
I mean major stuff...
Holla back youngin!
FMAX kit. got it for $2500. i have about $500 for the exhaust. $600 for clutch and flywheel. and thats about all. all stock internals. i'm workin on either building it or getting a new car

oh forgot the plugs and wires. $8 for the NGK copper plugs and $50 for the MSD wires. short shifter $60. gauges $200. i think thats all
Old 12-19-2002, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Quote:

That's pretty impressive, if I had 6th gen that was fairly new I would probably go that route also. How long have you been turbo?
Old 12-20-2002, 02:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
FMAX kit. got it for $2500. i have about $500 for the exhaust. $600 for clutch and flywheel. and thats about all. all stock internals. i'm workin on either building it or getting a new car

oh forgot the plugs and wires. $8 for the NGK copper plugs and $50 for the MSD wires. short shifter $60. gauges $200. i think thats all
YEA YEA
How long have you been turbo?
And where did you get the FMax turbo so cheap?
Old 12-20-2002, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
i was running 6lbs for about 6 months and 10lbs for about a month so far. i got it the middle of April. i got it so cheap through a friend that had it on his car for about 400 miles and sold his accord and got an S2000
Old 12-23-2002, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1997 Accord EX (H22A)
Mods: look at signature
dominate9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
The fmax turbo kit is like 3-4000 bucks cheap huh
H22a with tranny under 30k from hondamotors online is 2400 now you tel me which is cheaper you can add in a 1000 bucks for install. Id say h22a swap even though a turbo is sweet. Unless you wanna go the route of custom making the manifold and buying pieces seperatley. With a turbo you have to change the oil out more reguraly and use ony 92 ocatane gas. So in teh long run the turbo is gonna cost you. With a all motor h22a youd be able to get pretty quick like low 15s 14s pretty easy depending on parts.
It's not all that simple. A complete H22 swap can be very expensive. Not only do you have to pay for the swap, but you have to pay for shipping ($150-450), installation ($700-1000), you have to change out parts (water pump, timing belt, balancing belt, thermostat, etc), and you have to replace the parts that were cut (header, engine mount, p/s lines, etc), and you have to pay for modification. A complete swap can run a person $4000 easy.
450cc DSM injectors
Apexi VAFC
18" Focal SD5s
225/40/18 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
Sponsored Links
Advertisement