Turn signal relay keeps clicking Help anyone? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1992
Mods: Accord
Badboyzz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
tech wrench Turn signal relay keeps clicking Help anyone?

Not sure what is causing it but my turn signal relay keeps clicking. i tried replacing it and it just keeps on clicking. I checked all the bulbs and they are all working ok. When i actually use the directional, it lights up exactly the way it is supposed to either lef tor right.

So has anyone had the same issue and possibly advise how i can fix this??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2011 Accord EX
Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
keeps clicking...what do you mean? just that it flashes 2 or 3 times faster than normal?

if so, replace both bulbs on the affected side to make it simple - or one at a time to be precise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondatechAV6 View Post
keeps clicking...what do you mean? just that it flashes 2 or 3 times faster than normal?

if so, replace both bulbs on the affected side to make it simple - or one at a time to be precise.
No they are not even flashing. The relay keeps clicking like i have turned on the directional, but i have not turned on the directional. So in essence, no lights are flashing and the relay keeps clicking and clicking and clicking. No bulbs are lighting up either, but it just keeps clicking. Now when i actually use the directional, they are working fine either left right or hazards and all bulbs are lighting correctly.

Its kinda like really magical. It does it whenever the key is on and it clicks the whole time i am driving the car.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
is it a 92 accord?

is your blower motor on when this happens?

do you notice any dash lights or the clock like dimming when it happens?

does cruise control work?

do the horn and sunroof work?

by checking these things i can look at the etm and determine that the ground paths are ok and the wiring is most likely good, and i can tell if current is back feeding somewhere.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 95 accord LX "V-T-E-C-H"
Mods: "V-T-E-C-H" swap, super drop springs, ultra bright blue lights, dual 10" exhaust tips, huge body kit and aluminum wing so i can fly, super huge turbo i cant spool, and last but not least some 25" chromes wrapped with a huge rubberband
WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!WaLLeYeMan Um, 1 million? Damn!
you probably have a short somewhere along your wire harness. Does it only happen when you turn something else on? If it does then that means those two wires have burnt and crossed and youre going to have to find it and rewire or get a new harness.

My Beloved CD5, RIP
Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

tech wrench

Quote:
is it a 92 accord?

is your blower motor on when this happens?

do you notice any dash lights or the clock like dimming when it happens?

does cruise control work?

do the horn and sunroof work?

by checking these things i can look at the etm and determine that the ground paths are ok and the wiring is most likely good, and i can tell if current is back feeding somewhere.

It is a 92 accord. Every other device seems to be working ok for the meantime. AC, Cruise, Headlights, clock, horn, sunroof, windows, no dimming of any other devices. No problem dash lights lighting either. Is there a flasher and a relay, or is it just the relay? I am asking that if there is something else that also is needed in the circuit that could possibly need replacing.

Nothing else need to be turned on for it to start clicking. As soon as the car key turns to on, it start right away. A short will be tough to find. Can a bulb be grounding out, and still look like it works ok??
Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
typically when the bulb is shorting out the turn signal will flash very fast when you activate it.

well, i'd start with replacing the flasher. you can get one easily at the junk yard probably very cheap. this is the easiest thing to do.

otherwise i'd suspect a short to ground in the green/red wire at the combo light switch or a faulty combo light switch.

it could be something else but without being there it's difficult to try and diag online.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Wink

Quote:
typically when the bulb is shorting out the turn signal will flash very fast when you activate it.

well, i'd start with replacing the flasher. you can get one easily at the junk yard probably very cheap. this is the easiest thing to do.

otherwise i'd suspect a short to ground in the green/red wire at the combo light switch or a faulty combo light switch.

it could be something else but without being there it's difficult to try and diag online.
My feeling is that it may be shorting somehow thru the directional switch itself on the column. Ever heard of that possibly?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: Accord 1996
Mods: None
BECKA is on a distinguished road
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE CLICKING NOISE. IT STARTS AS SOON AS I OPEN THE CAR DOOR. IT WILL EVENTUALLY GO OFF BUT ANY TIME I ROLL DOWN A WINDOW IT WILL START ALL OVER. I HAVE OTHER PROBLEM TOO, MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND OFF. IT WILL STAY ON FOR A FEW DAYS THEN GO OFF. ALSO, MY SPEEDOMETER ONLY WORKS WHEN IT WANTS TO OR IF I GO OVER A BIG BUMP. SAME WITH THE RADIO. I BOUGHT MY 96 ACCORD LAST SUMMER. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM NOW IS MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON DURNING EMISSIONS TESTING AND THE CODE INDICATED A FAULTY CATYLITIC CONVERTER. I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE SINCE THE CAR RUNS GREAT. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS SO MAYBE THE CAR CAN STILL RUN GREAT AND HAVE A BAD CAT CONVERTER??? OH, MY WINDSHIELD WIPER ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE DOESN'T WORK BUT IT TRIED TO WORK ONE DAY DURING A RAIN STORM. IT CAME ON AND STOPED IN MID SWIPE THEN BECAME TANGLED UP WITH THE ONE THAT WAS WORKING PROPERLY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CAR OR IS IT POSSED BY SOME DEMON,LOL. I NEED HELP!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: Accord 1996
Mods: None
BECKA is on a distinguished road
OH, I NEED TO ADD THAT THE INTERIOR LIGHTS ALSO COME ON AND OFF IN UNISON WITH THE CLICKING NOISE. HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHAT TO DO TO FIX ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS FOR A LOW PRICE.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 1997 Honda Accord EX
Mods: Header + full Catback, Short ram intake, MSD Wires, Flat black 15x6.5 Motegi Traklites, Rotor over Hub conversion.
MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?MortsAccord you're still here?
The times that I've seen electrical problems in cars is usually from someone trying a DIY car stereo install and screwing things up bad. They fix the situation temporarily then sell the car, then the problems happen to the next owner(you).

See if you can find out some history about the car. Relays almost always make an audible clicking noise. your going to have to learn how to use a volt/ohm meter or just give up and take it to a professional.

Though you might get lucky and get the exact problem nailed down by someone else from the forum.

BECKA - TURN OFF YOUR CAPSLOCK KEY PLEASE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement