vtec head on non-vtec block - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1993 Accord Coupe
Mods: Exhaust, Intake, Hid lamps
Dunatic315 is on a distinguished road
vtec head on non-vtec block

But here it goes,

Is there absolutly anyway i can get a f22a1 block to be vtec?

Just wondering or would i have to go through a swap,

I've already done one swap with an older accord, but im just wondering to save me some money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 03 IS300 5MT
Mods: Injen Intake. HKS Drager II Exhaust. HP Racing Headers. Enkei Evo5. B&G Coilovers.
boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
its the head that has vtec

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

well how could i get it to be vtec?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Mods: Injen Intake. HKS Drager II Exhaust. HP Racing Headers. Enkei Evo5. B&G Coilovers.
boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
put a vtec head on the block. its not that simple though. research my friend.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?hondaboy95 What did you do to deserve all this rep?
Like glaze said...it's not that simple. I have the F22B1 engine and I decided to get the JDM F22B engine, which is the F22A block with the H23 head. For smog reasons, I had to switch the head to the VTEC F22B1.

There was a coolant port on the front of the head (over the exhaust manifold) that needed to be plugged with JB weld. But it's a direct swap other than this slight mod.

But, the VTEC would not activate. There may have been an oil port that wasn't there for the VTEC....so it wouldn't activate. And yes I was using the ECU for the F22B1 engine.

I just needed the head swap for smog so I didn't research why VTEC wouldn't activate. This is something that you will need to find out before hand.

I would recommend buying the F22B1 engine and ECU and be done with it. Swapping the whole engine would be simpler and not that much money to accomplish. But if you're looking for a challenge, research the head swap...it's been documented before on SH. Good luck!

"Don't tell me what you're going to do...tell me what you've done!"
Old 01-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
1. read rules (see thread titles): title changed

2. research (see stickies for how to use search function)

3. vtec head on non-vtec block is possible...not worth it since vtec is just a gas saving mechanism on single cam motors like the f22. extra power comes from other differences between the motors...not vtec...but compare gas mileages between the two motors and they are almost the same. this has been covered before.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Thanks every one I think i'm going to try a h22 motor swap
Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car: 1995 Honda Accord Ex, 5 spd
Mods:
TSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputationTSM_Pikachu Among Gods/Goddesses in reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunatic315 View Post
But here it goes,

Is there absolutly anyway i can get a f22a1 block to be vtec?

Just wondering or would i have to go through a swap,

I've already done one swap with an older accord, but im just wondering to save me some money
F22a1 block huh? You would be better off going with a delta 272 regrind for a cam and then the F22a6 intake manifold for more power with not too much cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunatic315 View Post
well how could i get it to be vtec?
VTEC Head swap, would give you more power yes but the F22a6 manifold would be slightly better and a bit cheaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaboy95 View Post
Like glaze said...it's not that simple. I have the F22B1 engine and I decided to get the JDM F22B engine, which is the F22A block with the H23 head. For smog reasons, I had to switch the head to the VTEC F22B1.

There was a coolant port on the front of the head (over the exhaust manifold) that needed to be plugged with JB weld. But it's a direct swap other than this slight mod.

But, the VTEC would not activate. There may have been an oil port that wasn't there for the VTEC....so it wouldn't activate. And yes I was using the ECU for the F22B1 engine.

I just needed the head swap for smog so I didn't research why VTEC wouldn't activate. This is something that you will need to find out before hand.

I would recommend buying the F22B1 engine and ECU and be done with it. Swapping the whole engine would be simpler and not that much money to accomplish. But if you're looking for a challenge, research the head swap...it's been documented before on SH. Good luck!
All the bottom ends are pretty much the same, just different passages used.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 2004 WRX Stage 2
Mods: Custom Airbox, sway bars, Full Helix TBE and catless uppipe, Open Source tuned by yours truly, and many other goodies
cefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep tropospherecefiro80 In the rep troposphere
I think an h series swap will be an easier option with plenty of aftermarket support.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefiro80 View Post
I think an h series swap will be an easier option with plenty of aftermarket support.
depends. if he wants to put forged pistons in, a f series engine would be better choice as they dont have frm cylinder walls. meaning no need to get them sleeved to put the forged pistons in, which can get pretty pricey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement