Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Weird Transmission Incident

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nusdogg 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX. The other day, the car had been sitting for two days in hot weather, I tried to start my car and it wouldn't turn over the first time. I tried it again and it started, but when I drove the car it wouldn't get out of first gear no matter how hard I step on the gas. Then the "D4" shift light started flashing. I pulled the car off to the side of the road and restarted it. The car started right up and the transmission was working normally. What caused that?

P.S. I have had some electronical gremlins such as the brake light dummy switch coming on periodically, but the brake lights work fine, the horn doesnt work sometime and the cigarette lighter not working most of the time. I have been told these problems are caused by a bad ICU.

Please help...I dont want to caught on the highway in first gear only.:bash

#2 ·
That's strange.
It has nothing to do with heat. If your automatic transmission isn't shifting up when it should, you need a new transmission or remanufactured one. I don't know the root cause but I had 1990 Accord with a similar issue. It would shift late so the whole car would lunge after a shift, like someone who just steps off the clutch instead of slowly lifting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.