What is the best fuel additive? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: '94 Honda Accord LX 4 door
Mods: intake, exhaust, plug wires, strut bar, and looking for a good suspension set up
johnnyboy1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the best fuel additive?

What is the best fuel additive? There are so many different types of fuel additives. What is the best type? What is the best brand?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
higher octane racing gas.....i wouldnt add anything off the shelf.....if you wanna up your timing, then you can mix a certain amount of racing gas with regular gas to up the octane a lil.....

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2003, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods: fram air filter!!! haha
AccOrDZteCh is on a distinguished road
fuel additives are needed to get carbon out of the gas. carbon build up leads to more emmsions...and less performance. there are many out there but onyl a few protect the seals while the other kill the seals in the gas tanks. some people use them with no problem but rarley knwo the risks. i use amsoil PI which is a good formula that cleans out the system and isnt a pure concentrate to not hurt ur seals...another product is lucas fuel additive or someting that one is great. to support my claims i will show u this site this guy did, he is knowledgable.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=4;t=000086

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=5;t=000065

the main study i cannot find. ill find it, it has videos how he did some tests..

bascially he mixed some acid with some cleaner and some gas and burned it to demonstrate combustion...then he looked on it and saw how good i cleaned it up...everyone on that site supports him and really he has really helped my car in every way.

good luck. be our guest and sign on to that site to ask more quesitons about ne thing that deals with lubrication or gasoline

stock 91 honda accord ex 142k

all sho..

my car pics

aww, she is smiling at you.

mods:
f22a6 intake manifold swap
DRL custom..
catch can-comming
CAI-custom and done.
strut bar front upper rear lower tie
Old 03-06-2003, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 2008 BMW 335i
Mods:
boostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHOboostaholic Is quite a popular one around SHO
i don;t usually recommend any additives but seafoam carbon cleaner works really well.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Quote:
Originally posted by fizzbob7
higher octane racing gas.....i wouldnt add anything off the shelf.....if you wanna up your timing, then you can mix a certain amount of racing gas with regular gas to up the octane a lil.....
NOOOO!!!!!!! higher octane racing gas isn't good for the stock f22/f23 motors!!!!

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
boydrifterclone is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do you guys buy your seafoam from? What does the bottle look like? I can't find any here
Old 03-07-2003, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 95 EX
Mods: CAI/H/E/PS Pulley/High Flow Cat/V-AFC/JDM H22
AccordSleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
why do you need a fuel additive? you don't need more octane unless your advancing the timing or have a turbo and want to run more boost.

i use dry gas everyone once in while to the water out and i also throw in some fuel injector cleaner maybe 2 times a year. it may not do nothing, but it's peace of mind.

i stick to good name brand gas since they should have better detergents to keep everything clean and i also run 93 and don't trust the generic gas stations.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd; 95 240sx
Mods: Everything Suspension & Brakes
rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraMagneticAL
NOOOO!!!!!!! higher octane racing gas isn't good for the stock f22/f23 motors!!!!
hey ultra-whats the reason for that??-ive heard mixed reviews about higher octane gas being good, or bad-im just curious what the reasoning is behind this-i normally put 89 octane in my 95 accord, and find that it runs smoother than when its on 87 octane.

Evolution Performance Driving School

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd : Tein Flex Coilovers : Progress Front & Rear Swaybars : GTSpec Front & Rear Strut Tower bars : 2007 STi Brembo Brake Conversion : Hawk HPS Pads : Stop Tech Lines : DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors : Nismo Extended Wheel Studs : ACT HD clutch : 06 wrx flywheel : 18 x 8.5 Volk ce28n : 245/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS : AVO LCA Bushings : Corner Balanced : Hella Supertones

1995 Nissan 240sx : In pieces : LS1 : T56 Transmission
Old 03-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: frost white gsr
Mods: i/h/e/ eibachs and adjustables
combustion is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like that site. The information is amazing i found it awhile ago and when i have a question about oil or additives i go there and search.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 95 EX
Mods: CAI/H/E/PS Pulley/High Flow Cat/V-AFC/JDM H22
AccordSleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by rnstein69
hey ultra-whats the reason for that??-ive heard mixed reviews about higher octane gas being good, or bad-im just curious what the reasoning is behind this-i normally put 89 octane in my 95 accord, and find that it runs smoother than when its on 87 octane.
higher octane fuel is harder to ignite which is good to prevent detonation. the problem is f22/f23 motors were not designed to be run on premium fuel, so you can actually hurt performace unless you advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
bonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud ofbonestock94 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by boydrifterclone
Where do you guys buy your seafoam from? What does the bottle look like? I can't find any here
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop...romax/dc14.htm

its the aero can one that u just spray down your throttle body. works wonders.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: '94 Honda Accord LX 4 door
Mods: intake, exhaust, plug wires, strut bar, and looking for a good suspension set up
johnnyboy1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey! thanks for all the info. The seafoam says you can use it to clean out your intake. do you sugest this? How ofen do you suggest to use it? If higher octane fuel is harder to ignite could i just use new spark plugs. I have new ignition wires, but i dont know if i have the new transformer thing to up the voltage. I bought it used. thanks agian for the feed back.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyboy1013
Hey! thanks for all the info. The seafoam says you can use it to clean out your intake. do you sugest this? How ofen do you suggest to use it? If higher octane fuel is harder to ignite could i just use new spark plugs. I have new ignition wires, but i dont know if i have the new transformer thing to up the voltage. I bought it used. thanks agian for the feed back.
why do you want to use high octane fuel so badly? you just wanna waste money, or what? changing spark plugs won't help you out either...it's all about the compression in the cylinder. in higher compression motors such as the b-series and h-series vtec motors or turbo'd motors, the fuel and air is subjected to higher pressures within the cylinder. this higher pressure can make the air/fuel ignite (same principle as the diesel engine) but in our gasoline engines, premature detonation is no good. the lower compression motors, such as the f22/f23/j30 motors in our accords, don't like the higher octanes because the fuel then becomes too hard to ignite, and you have to use up some energy to ignite the fuel, which in turn, means lower performance at the wheels where it counts.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
striptyler is an unknown quantity at this point
Seafoam

I worked a few turns at a marina, doing some wrenching. Anyways, you can find seafoam at almost any marine parts shop, B/C it's used a lot in high performance 2 strokes. I don't reccomend using it on older, higher milage engines though. carbon does build up in an engine yes... but sometimes it helps a little too. Then again, High Perf. 2 strokes are very sensitive to compression levels. Also, a random side note, now that im workin on airplanes... people are always pulling up in they're honda's askin for AV gas, DON'T do this, unless you want to burn out your cat, and waste fuel. AV Gas is rated under a diffrent set of guidlines and requirements. 100LL is 100 octane, LOW LEAD. asi i said the octane rating is not the same as 100 oc. MoGas. plus 100LL is dyed. save your engine and your CAT, don't waste 2.85 a gallon
Old 03-08-2003, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraMagneticAL
he never said what he had unless i missed it.....
i wouldnt put it in the f22 either....i wouldnt use it period unless it was necessary......if he had a turbod h22/23 or something and wanted to up his timing, etc...then mixing some higher octane gas in IS good.....i wouldnt do anything to a bolt on motor.....thats like adding oversized injectors to an engine with just a header......WHY
i mixed it in with a ford 2.3 that needed it at a high boost setting.....runnin around town, i'd simply turn it down and not worry with it.....

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement