What Does It Mean To Be SAE\DOT Approved? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
2gracer is an unknown quantity at this point
What Does It Mean To Be SAE\DOT Approved?

I was looking into buying the jdm lights, you know the ones with black housing, I looked it up on ebay, and they have lots of styles of headlights, the halo projectors, and those have black housing, and chrome housing etc etc. I think I like the look of the halo projectors with black housing and the bmw ring, but I don't like that they will shine like absolute crap. I wanted the jdm depo lights, because they give the black housing look, and still shine really good. Well I was looking at an auction for the projectors, and it says they are sae\dot approved, doesn't that mean something? isn't there a standard level of quality? And like how bad do these things really light? does anyone have side by side pics? evryone used to say how bad the blue headlight bulbs were, but I have some and actually noticed better lighting. the brightness is the same, but the area of light is better. anyways, how bad could projectors really be if they are sae\dot approved. thanks alot

(once again my posts have taken away)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 97 Accord
Mods:
cryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHOcryogen97 Is quite a popular one around SHO
That means it's road legal. For example, you could buy all clear lights, but they're illegal to have on the road because they don't meet legal specs. But if they're SAE/DOT then they've been approved for road use.

go: h22a, MT, i/h/e
turn: Apexi WS dampers, ST sways, CF strut tie bar, falken azenis st-115 225/40/18
ice: WinXP, 7" molded touch screen, gps, wifi
style: CF/stealth
Moderator: Accord forum | My Photopost
www.Cryogen97.net for your DIY needs (hopelessly neglected)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 2001 Accord Coupe V6 - San Marino Red
Mods:
.::BlownsiX::. is an unknown quantity at this point
DOT = Department Of Transportation
Approved simply means approved... your a smart kid im sure you can put the two together.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
2gracer is an unknown quantity at this point
well cryogen you're on the right track, I mean obviosly we know what they stand for, but what I am saying is what are the qualifications ot be approved, if projectors really are that crappy, why would they be SAE\DOT approved, if they don't shine they aren't safe and shouldn't be approved

(once again my posts have taken away)
Old 09-15-2002, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
white accord 94 is an unknown quantity at this point
it must say DOT SAE approved stamped on the housing with some other numbers/letters next to it in order to be street legal...even with all that, the cops can still even ticket you if hes a prick.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: inbetween cars now
Mods: nothing right now.... till i get my lude
vteccinsteve is an unknown quantity at this point
isn't sae..... standards of american engineering?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
neonmike22 is an unknown quantity at this point
SAE = society of automotive engineers.

If you look after the SAE stamp on a taillight for example, there should be a bunch of random numbers and letters. Those seemingly random letters say just WHAT has been approved.

For example some of the altezza style taillights may be SAE approved for brake lights, but not as a side marker for the rear.

Check out this site, all kinds of lighting laws and info on what's legal and why:
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement