Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Whining power steering pump

24K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MortsAccord 
#1 ·
I have two issues on my 2005 Honda (Accord v6) that I has me concerned.
First of all, I was experiencing some whining noise that was originating from power steering pump. I read that o-ring at pressure hose needed replacing, therefore, I replaced it on my own. Although, the whining noise decreased at first (I thought it would eventually be gone completely), it has been approximately 3 months and whining noise remains. I also recently read that power steering hoses need to be bled. I have never done this before and need some info on how it should be done. Can Anyone help me on this matter?
Secondly, an amber colored light (in the outlined shape of motor - transverse angle) came on in my dash. I could use some clarification on what this warning light could be telling me. Does anyone have any answers?
Thanks in advance for your input.

#3 ·
Yes, turn the str wheel from lock to lock at a steady pace where it's not too slow nor too fast, because if you do it too fast, the pwr str fluid can go flying everywhere out of the reservoir. Now, I don't remember if the cap on the pwr str reservoir should be off or not while bleeding the system; can't remember since it has been two years.

#4 ·
Purging the fluid out is what I would recommend. Bleeding the system won't change the pumps whining noise. However it would help the feel of the steering if there was indeed air trapped in the system.

Purging the fluid is pretty easy. You have to disconnnect the return line and plug the orfice where the return line connects to the resivior. Put the return line into a container to hold the flying you are purging out, or add a length of clear tubing (available at lowes). Pick up some power steering fluid for Honda vehicles- at least 5 bottles.

Once everything is set up you only need the car on for extremely brief moments. I would actually suggest pulling the fuel pumps fuse so the car won't start. Power steering fluid flows pretty quick so be careful. You don't want he resivior to run too low. I suggest overfilling it so the chances of this are greatly reduced.

You'll want to purge the fluid out until it changes color to a tint similar to the new fluid you have been adding. Just make sure the pumps pick up hose never gets air in it. You probably won't get it completely clean as there will be some fluid left in the power steering rack itself. You could do a couple bottles over 2-3 times after driving.

There is the option of draining the entire system and refilling with new fluid but I don't have directions for that. The above is what I did to my own car.

Edit: water pumps often whine as well. What mileage are you at and has the pump been changed before?

#5 ·
When you say purging the fluid and by the way you explained that, ain't that the same as flushing the pwr str system?? Cause thats exactly how Honda tells you to do on All Data when removing the old fluid out and putting in the new ones.

#6 ·
Yes.

New fluid should help recondition the seals and quite things down. It also is much more easy on the pump because its viscosity is what the pump should be pushing and it wont have water/moisture in it which does get into power steering fluid and brake fluid. Water in the fluid can cause a whining noise because of cavitation; that is IF the fluid gets really hot while its being pressurized. While unlikelyin a car.. I've seen it happen at work on our press. Hose pulses like crazy.

but anywhoo purge/flush yea pretty much the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.