Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Why do People say H22s are cheap?

5K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  tienlude 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 96 accord in great shape but with 260k miles so obviously an engine swap is on my mind, I've been looking at prices and an f20b is only like $600-800 and h22's are $2k-3k! But everywhere people keep saying that h22's aren't really that much more then f22s or whatever else it seems to me they are among the highest priced engines? Am I just looking in the wrong spots or what? One huge thing btw is I want an auto tranny not a manual! but still How can I find a reasonably priced H22/ what should I expect to pay for the swap?

Since I live in California an f20b is not smog legal btw, and I wouldn't know where to begin to even make it legal though I would love to! =)

#2 ·
I guess it depends.
Where are you finding these F20B engines listed? That's pretty low. I guess they are in "as-is" condition. That's cheaper than what I've seen D15 and D16 listed for... so those blocks may be cracked or something's worn out, piston rings, head gasket, unknown problem.

As for the H22, I think what people mean by they are cheap is that there were a lot of Honda Accords with that engine sold in the US. Dime a dozen. For $2 to $3K, I think they are remanufactured or rebuilt. Where are you seeing them listed?

#6 ·
OP's talking about swapping in an F20B knowing that his F22 SOHC engine is high up there with mileage. Also, the USDM Accords never came with an H22; only the RHD CD6 Accord SiR from Japan.

OP, F20B's are of course more than an H22 at most JDM Importers, but this will vary where you found yours. If I was you, I'd go with a JDM H23A VTEC blue top, and they all come in Auto. They're also OBD2 which is a plus for you since your '96 Accord is an OBD2 as well. Bigger Displacement = More Torque.

I got my JDM H22A long block for $900.00 shipped to my front door then I reused my F22 trans for a few months before I bought my T2T4 LSD trans. You can find a complete H22 swap for $1,500.00 plus shipping to your door if you look around Ebay. HMO listed theirs at $2099.00 plus shipping, but they ship you a clean ass engine though.

#4 ·
some accords came with h22. i dont know which.

prelude and accord are akin.

h22 are cheap. they run 5-800 $

no need to look around like crazy, now if you trying to a tranny as well, then you would be shelling out some sea shells for that.

#5 ·
Ive bought parts from this company(JSH MOTORS) before... idk how they are with there motors but seems like a good deal. Also im no to familiar with accords so idk if this would all work with an accord.

Model #: JDM_H22a_Engine_Swap
Our Price: $1,999.99

JDM H22a Engine, 5spd LSD Transmission, Ecu

Specs: 200Hp 165Trq (10.5 Compression)

Parts Included:

Motor
5 Speed (LSD) Hydro Transmission
Ecu
Starter
Clutch
Flywheel
Exhaust Manifold
Fuel Rail
Injectors
Distributor
Intake manifold
Alternator
Wiring Harness
Our JDM H22a Engine Swap / Motor comes with a 100% start up warranty. All Sensors guaranteed working and not broken. Motor average 35-45k miles

JDM H22a Engine Swap | 5spd (LSD)

#7 ·
i have a blue top in one of my cars, although i heard nothing but good things, im not getting the performance i want out of it "stock"...and mine has been prone to slight glitches here and there with very minor things, i have also been in contact with others who have gone through mediocre ordeals with that engine...

goes without saying, i LOVE that engine, but only out of sheer love for preludes and the H.

i would not want to deter you from getting a bluetop, however, i have NEVER HAD A problem with a jdm h22...

yes, 1500 sounds like a great deal for the whole shebang.

look around till you find something like that...

if your car is a five speed, just buy an engine, like i said, i bought all my engines for around 600 each.

#11 ·
So I think I may see the issue, I thought that when getting an h22a I'd have to buy a tranny as well, but it sounds like I can keep the auto tranny I already have and then just get the engine totally seperate?

Or being that I have heard that the F20B and H22A are the same engine but destroked could I use the auto tranny from an F20B and it will bolt right up no issue?

The last piece of info I can provide is that due to California being so strict with smog and all that to make a swap legal the engine of a car has to be of the same year or higher then the body of the car it's going into...so having a 1996 accord I need an engine from at least 1996 so that puts me in the final generation of preludes correct?

#13 ·
So I think I may see the issue, I thought that when getting an h22a I'd have to buy a tranny as well, but it sounds like I can keep the auto tranny I already have and then just get the engine totally seperate?
No, all F & H series(exclude S2K engines) are interchangeable; doesn't matter if it's a auto or a manual trans. It'll bolt-up. Reusing your F22 auto trans, the H22 won't be at it's full potential due to the long gear ratios of the F22 trans; as a result, good gas mileage.

Darkness is right though about the performance. When I ran my F22 5spd on my JDM H22A when I first got'er done, it was slow as sh*t. It may seem fast when you first started driving her but wait til you run a few fast cars then you'll know how slow it is with the F22 trans. It's only as fast as a JDM B16A(torque-less) swap in Delsol cause thats what I ran against with at the time of my F22 trans I had, and we were neck to neck. *palmface*

I say, save up some more til you can afford the complete H22 & trans; that way you'll get to play with it's full potential from the get go. You'll need to wake it up too with header, intake, and exhaust. It's still somewhat slow but alot faster over the SOHC.

Or being that I have heard that the F20B and H22A are the same engine but destroked could I use the auto tranny from an F20B and it will bolt right up no issue?
Like I said, All F & H series trans will bolt up to all F & H engines.

#12 · (Edited)
why engine swap to keep a crappy honda auto tranny that negates any performance gain?....that's like playing just the tip with megan fox.

and that's not cali being strict, that's the entire nation. any car that has a swap must have an engine from the same year or newer.

#14 ·
and that's not cali being strict, that's the entire nation. any car that has a swap must have an engine from the same year or newer.
no, its not the entire nation, its mostly any state with emissions. and there are exceptions to everything. and cali is much more strict with things than any other state.

d series do not go for 600-800 unless you buy from like ebay or something. private party seller will probably sell for 300-400 all day long I can get a full swap for that.

f series engines I can find between 400-600 and H series I normally find are about 800 you just need to look in the classifieds and not ebay

#24 ·
Just because you don't see them from that slow BMW you drive now doesn't mean they don't run. They start-drive-park before your car can get in reverse to pull out.

#26 ·
only lesbians argue over boost.

much like you two bitches.

#27 ·
sorry, improper use of the word, i meant "beeches"

#31 ·
i paid "ramon" to photoshop his with my name on it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.