Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Will I need to reset the computer?

3K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Darkness 
#1 ·
Long story short I broke the airbox on my girlfriend's 03 accord and I'm not paying $75 for another crappy used airbox. So I got her an AEM short ram. Will I need to reset the computer or will it adjust on its own?

#4 ·
How can you break an airbox? I can understand breaking one of the screws but the box itself.
It's just like replacing a regular air filter. The new one is going to be cleaner and the ECU is going to adjust and air/fuel ratio. The ECU will adjust the air/fuel ratio when you install the short ram air intake.

#5 ·
HAHA! Yea I didn't think it was possible to break an airbox but I managed to do it. I say it's just crappy brittle plastic. It's a tight fit between the part of the box that bolts to the car and the fender and while twisting and torqueing to get it out like 3 different places broke on the little lip that surrounds the sides of the filter. So I just put it back together and then I pulled it back apart a couple days later to make sure it wasn't leaking and all of the molding around the "nuts" snapped as I was trying to get it apart. I could have just JB welded it all back together but it's a nice car so I don't want to start doing that sort of stuff. I called around and the best price I found on a used airbox was $75. Plus I was going to drop a K&N in it. It just made more sense to get a sweet air intake that will give her like 40 more HP for those extra heavy grocery runs.

#7 · (Edited)
I was going to drop a K&N in it. It just made more sense to get a sweet air intake that will give her like 40 more HP for those extra heavy grocery runs.
ummmm no.......try 2-3 actual hp......before heat soak sets in....then try 1.5hp..

#11 ·
Yea, so now I had to put the stock stuff back on on because for some reason they made 2003 Accords with more then one kind of intake system and ours uses a MAF instead of a IAT. Fucking stupid. I can't find anything that works with a MAF and will either have to make something or just get another box and drop a K&N in it and call it good.

#13 ·
I don't know the differences other then nobody makes an intake that will work with a MAF. At least they don't advertise it. Most say in the descriptions they won't work. Some don't say they won't work, but I'm not taking any more chances.

What exactly does a resonator do. I understand it gets rid of intake noise but is there any other purpose for it?

#15 ·
The new intake only has a hole with a grommet for the IAT sensor which is small and circular. The MAF bolts into the airbox between the filter and throttle body and is a big rectangular thing that hangs down into the intake. This new intake has nowhere for the MAF to go. Are you Saying it could be ran without the MAF? It doesn't seem like it would run without some sort of air sensor whether it's an IAT or MAF. It needs something doesn't it. Even if it runs I'm sure it's going to throw a CEL which here in Cali means they won't smog it, so that's a no go.

#16 ·
first I just want to point out the IAT is an intake air temp sensor, it can be left hanging in the engine bay and not throw a code or harm anything.

your car will run rich without the MAF plugged in.

can you take a picture of the engine bay and point out where you maf is?

#20 ·
damn that sucks. in order for you to get that to work you would need to machine a aluminum plate for it to bolt to then cut out a hole in the intake and weld on the plate. I can see why people are being lazy and offering the intakes without the maf sensor.

#23 ·
I thought about doing that. But isn't hacking the tube and putting all these step up and step downs in it going to negate any performance and gas mileage gains by having all these extra bumps and turns instead of a nice smooth tube into the motor?

#24 · (Edited)
lol the intake in general is a waste of money...you're lookint at 2-3 actual whp gain from one to begin with....but just get a step down coupler. intakes are more for sound on hondas....unless you have a k20(non a3)

even the b/h series didn't pick up crazy gains unless you start modding cams and intake manifolds with ecu tunes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.