Can a cop follow you for more than 3 Miles/3 Turns? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Law Enforcement & Criminal Justice

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1992 Prelude SI
Mods: CAI, Exedy Clutch, 4Bidden Short Shift
AaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peons
Can a cop follow you for more than 3 Miles/3 Turns?

I've heard a lot of talk that a cop can't follow you for more than 3 miles or 3 turns without pulling you over.

I.E. a cop can't be bored, and simply follow me waiting for me to break a law that he's able to pull me over for.

They say it's entrapment, but I'm almost positive that wouldn't be the term.

Any officers have similar rules in their departments, or know this is bullshit? I have a feeling it's not true.
Current:
1992 Prelude Si
1997 Prelude Base
Fold@Home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 5th gen SH
Mods: Type-S Swap. Neuspeed/AGX suspension, DC Sports front strut/rear sway, AEM CAI, APEX'i dunk catback, APEX'i V-AFC. Alpine head, 2 polk 10" DVC's, 2 Hifonics amps, Infinty kappa's all around.
what the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problem
They're cops. They get to do pretty much whatever the hell they want.

Oh, and just because a cop is behind you doesn't mean he's following you. And even if he was it wouldn't be entrapment. To entrap someone, the cop would have to do something that would encourage you to break a law you wouldn't normally have incentive to break.

Type-S Swap
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2005 F-150 XLT
Mods: Koenigsegg say this is more comfortable..but..more comfortable than what? Being stabbed?
christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?
Nothing like that in Florida
Old 06-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Bacon Mod

Car: 1990 SI Hatch
Mods: Bottle Fed B16A 13.23@101.5 on I,H,E and a 50 shot
VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?
nothin like that in california
2012 Civic EX - DD
In the end, everything we do is just everything we've done

"I have returned many times to honour the valiant men who died…every man who set foot on Omaha Beach was a hero."-Lieutenant General Omar Bradley
Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Digital Racer

AaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally Posted by what the...
They're cops. They get to do pretty much whatever the hell they want.

And even if he was it wouldn't be entrapment. To entrap someone, the cop would have to do something that would encourage you to break a law you wouldn't normally have incentive to break.
Yeah, I knew it wasn't called entrapment.

I turn whenever I see cops, it's just a habit I guess. I've been lucky enough to never have been pulled over. Knock on wood.
Current:
1992 Prelude Si
1997 Prelude Base
Fold@Home
Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car: '07 Mini Cooper S, '98 540iA ZSP (Sold), '94 530iA (Sold), '98 740ilA (Sold), '00 540iA (Sold)
Mods: Antenna Ball.
fm.illuminatus has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Cops can do anything because they have a badge. If they violate the law (or your rights) just lie about it in court about it and aren't held accountable. If a cop is following you around, he's probably "fishing" for a ticket, in other words trying to find an excuse to pull you over.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Bacon Mod

VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm.illuminatus
Cops can do anything because they have a badge. If they violate the law (or your rights) just lie about it in court about it and aren't held accountable. If a cop is following you around, he's probably "fishing" for a ticket, in other words trying to find an excuse to pull you over.
yup..cause we're out to get you
2012 Civic EX - DD

"I have returned many times to honour the valiant men who died…every man who set foot on Omaha Beach was a hero."-Lieutenant General Omar Bradley
Old 06-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 91' Accord LX
Mods: King Jeremy the Wicked Ruled his World
-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?-=91AcCoRdLX=- you're still here?
Doesn't matter what the rule is you can't fight the law and win.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=91AcCoRdLX=-
Doesn't matter what the rule is you can't fight the law and win.
Just because there are a few cops who you didn't think treated you fairly, doesn't mean all cops are crooked.

I've had quite a few run-ins with law enforcement, and although I may not have always liked the results, I respected them because after thinking about it, they treated me with respect as long as I showed them it in return.

I've also witnessed cops lying about things in order to make a charge stick in court. (They didn't switch breathalizer tips in between people, but lied and said he did, and also lied about giving the sober driver a warning, although she never received one.)

But at the end of the day, Cops aren't out to get you, they have better things to do, and lives to live.

Just because you've had a bad experience, whether you provoked it or he was just a dick, does not make all cops bad.
Current:
1992 Prelude Si
1997 Prelude Base
Fold@Home
Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 2002 Civic EX
Mods: Body kit, rims, CF hood, Stereo, Speakers
CIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these partsCIVICIMPORT is infamous around these parts
well i know a state trooper in texas can follow anyone within the whole state and doesnt have to have any reason

The future: K20A-R swap
Swap out auto to stick
Upgrade suspension
16" Rota slipstreams
Paint
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: '10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Mods:
NoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapyNoobieNooberson needs rep therapy
Thats one of the dumbest myths ive heard.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2000 Celica GT-S
Mods: none, yet anyways :>
infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?infox Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobieNooberson
Thats one of the dumbest myths ive heard.
what about if you over pay for a ticket and don't cash the check they send you... I think that myth beats this one
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Bacon Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by infox
what about if you over pay for a ticket and don't cash the check they send you... I think that myth beats this one
yea..thats an even dumber myth
2012 Civic EX - DD

Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car: 1998 Nissan 240sx SE
Mods: All stock, for now. Hooked up the stereo though.
SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?SFAL you're still here?
Cops dont "fish" for tickets. Most cops nowdays dont even have a quota, which dispells the "end of the month" myth.

Around here, the only time cops look for speeders on non-highway roads is when the community has pressured the police force to crack down on speeders. They dont do it for their own personal kicks.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2005 F-150 XLT
Mods: Koenigsegg say this is more comfortable..but..more comfortable than what? Being stabbed?
christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?christian you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirfallsalot243
Cops dont "fish" for tickets. Most cops nowdays dont even have a quota, which dispells the "end of the month" myth.

Around here, the only time cops look for speeders on non-highway roads is when the community has pressured the police force to crack down on speeders. They dont do it for their own personal kicks.
yup. we don't keep any type of stats at our place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement