Adding tube in tubeless tires. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 5g Prelude, Eucalyptus Green Pearl with two-tone Ivory/Black interior (bluish green)
Mods:
v_t_i_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding tube in tubeless tires.

Ok, I ran over a nail today as I was street parking at this place. I didn't realise it untill I got home. The nail was 3" long and it pierced the side of the tire and went out hitting the mags (looks like a tire kebab). The nail was stuck bad but I managed to hammer it back out (scratching a few marks on my alloys) : . As soon as it came out it defalted (naturally) so I quickly drove the car down to the nearest service station. The mechanic had a look at it and said it would be best to insert a tube ...blah blah... so I did it.

Q1: Is this a good and safe method?
Q2: the tube inserted was a 205/50 R15. I was told that it was suppose to be that size since it will expand to fit. How true is this?

First on SHO to use digitalpose.com.
Do not hold on to what you cannot keep but hold on to what you cannot loose.
Thanks for the memories MJ!..and the shoes.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 89 prelude
Mods: ported/polished head (port matched and polished intake manifold), dc header, custom intake, milled head 30 thousandths, custom titanium muffler
flylwsi will become famous soon enoughflylwsi will become famous soon enough
i've never seen a tube in a tubeless tire. and it wouldn't help you not get a flat. if you have a nail go through your tire, it'd go through the tube too.

what happened when you got a flat on your bike? the tube had a hole too...

i can't imagine it would be a good idea to put a tube in a tubeless tire...

me and mine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1993 JDM Prelude SI-VTEC
Mods: mahle 11:1, crower stg 2 + valvetrain, eagle rods, Iceman CAI, RSR header, Apexi catback, all this and still OEM P13 :(
Mervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whoreMervin is a rep whore
NOT GOOD!

You can put in a tube into a tubeless tire only for emergencies.

It is not a good idea to leave it in there, because the tires is designed to hold air, now your inflating another tube inside.

What happens is you get trapped air-bubbles between inner tube and tire (FRICTION @ high speed driving:eek: !), which can cause the tire to blow.

It is also risky to repair damage to tire sidewall, structural strenght diminishes.
:eek:
Old 02-10-2003, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
yldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whoreyldstyleviet is a rep whore
i've always used the Monkey tire repair kit with the black rubber/nylon strips. the other day i had a screw 1.5" stabbed near the tirewalls. i filled the hole and stuck a piece of rubber down...this is my 4th time hitting a nail on my set of tires. so far so good. why dont you just get a new tire? unless you want all your tires to wear out evenly? i've never heard of putting a tube in tubeless tires. wont water get in between the tube and tire?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 5g Prelude, Eucalyptus Green Pearl with two-tone Ivory/Black interior (bluish green)
Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi
i've never seen a tube in a tubeless tire. and it wouldn't help you not get a flat. if you have a nail go through your tire, it'd go through the tube too.

what happened when you got a flat on your bike? the tube had a hole too...

i can't imagine it would be a good idea to put a tube in a tubeless tire...
I don't understand half of what your saying. Your normal tire is tubeless but there are some tires that have inflatable tubes inside it. Like i said i ran over a nail and as a method of fixing up the hole (repair) an inflatable tube was inserted into the tubless tire. Ofcourse if you run over a nail it'll go through hell all....???

Old 02-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Mods:
Re: NOT GOOD!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mervin
You can put in a tube into a tubeless tire only for emergencies.

It is not a good idea to leave it in there, because the tires is designed to hold air, now your inflating another tube inside.

What happens is you get trapped air-bubbles between inner tube and tire (FRICTION @ high speed driving:eek: !), which can cause the tire to blow.

It is also risky to repair damage to tire sidewall, structural strenght diminishes.
:eek:
Point understood but there are tires which do have tube inside? I realise that the tubeless ones are design to go without tube but i can't see how it would harm it if you have one inserted.

As for the air in between tire and tube, wouldn't they escape through the holes left by the nail, and therefore you're only concern is the tube itself?

Understood that a tube can blow under but what about them tire with tubes inside them???

Old 02-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by yldstyleviet
why dont you just get a new tire? unless you want all your tires to wear out evenly? i've never heard of putting a tube in tubeless tires. wont water get in between the tube and tire?
Cos the tires have like at least 70% life in them and besides they're Dunlop ($$$$). I will get new ones but i want to use them as much as i can so as to not waist money.

The tube costed me 15 bucks whereas a new tire would cost me 100+.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 89 prelude
Mods: ported/polished head (port matched and polished intake manifold), dc header, custom intake, milled head 30 thousandths, custom titanium muffler
flylwsi will become famous soon enoughflylwsi will become famous soon enough
tubeless tires.
don't put a tube in it.

dangerous.

anything else i should write?

there's no point in it. and putting a tube in it is a horrible way to fix it. patch it from the inside.

if you've got a hole in the sidewall replace it b/c it's potentially dangerous.

anything else?

me and mine
Old 02-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Mods:
OK thanks for the advice. I won't be driving much nor will i speed so hope it can last untill it reasonably worned.

Appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement