Is it bad to have no TPS - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1994 Prelude VTEC/SRV
Mods: JDM H22a swap
roller3804 has a spectacular aura aboutroller3804 has a spectacular aura about
Question Is it bad to have no TPS

hi guys,

I recently got a JDM h22a swap(94lude)IM sure you all are aware the TPS on JDM motors are usually broken in shipping. Currently, I do not have one on. It seems to run okay. Will it perform way better with on on there?

-camrann
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car: 2008 Civic Si
Mods: Stock
98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller3804
hi guys,

I recently got a JDM h22a swap(94lude)IM sure you all are aware the TPS on JDM motors are usually broken in shipping. Currently, I do not have one on. It seems to run okay. Will it perform way better with on on there?

-camrann
it kinda give the computer an idea of how much fuel and air are getting into the motor. if it runs ok right now it don't see imediate problems but i'd get one just to be safe.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
ah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these parts
I am a TPS expert now having had to rewire and replace mine like 10-15 times. I think I have it nailed down no CEL or tps problems for like the past month. If you do not run a tps (it feels like my car runs almost better without it OBD1) your gas mileage will suck and it will cause your car to run extremely rich..... I do not think it will damage it any though it is better overall to run it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 1994 Prelude VTEC/SRV
Mods: JDM H22a swap
roller3804 has a spectacular aura aboutroller3804 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was a alot better idea to run it.
Ill try and find one then.

-camrann
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods: Pretty much anything you can think of
BoostinLude is an unknown quantity at this point
If you need one i got an h23 1/2 throttlebody with the tps you could use. (if you dont already have one)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
AtL'z_Moua will become famous soon enough
Speaking of TPS's. I'm having problems with mine @ the moment. It's telling the ECU that the TPS is getting too much voltage. This only happens when I run my car hard. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 1994 Accord EX coupe
Mods: JDM H22 and many more to come.....
VTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah22aselude
I am a TPS expert now having had to rewire and replace mine like 10-15 times. I think I have it nailed down no CEL or tps problems for like the past month. If you do not run a tps (it feels like my car runs almost better without it OBD1) your gas mileage will suck and it will cause your car to run extremely rich..... I do not think it will damage it any though it is better overall to run it...

Is it possible this could be why my H22 swap is running rich with shitty gas mileage?? Where is the TPS located on the H22? Pictures would help since I am retarded.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 98 Civic Coupe
Mods: stock
Shibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civcEK
it kinda give the computer an idea of how much fuel and air are getting into the motor. if it runs ok right now it don't see imediate problems but i'd get one just to be safe.
nope ur wrong, that is the function of a o2 sensor, oxygen sensor senses how much air fuel is un burnt going out of the exhaust then it informs the ecu to change the settings to maintain proper mixture.

TPS is throttle postion sensor, it informs the ECU how much of a opening the throttle butterfly is opening to inform the ecu how much fuel to squirt along with sharing other information from the oxygen sensor and other sensors.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
ah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these partsah22aselude is infamous around these parts
dude your sig is funny as hell....

you can not miss it --- behind your throttle body is a black tps sensor with a three plug wire running to it... If you have a usdm h22 then it will be riveted (sp?) into the throttle body if you have a jdm h22a then it will have torx 23s in it and you can unscrew it.... I use my sensor check on my vafc2 to set the voltage on it -- you can use a volt a meter hooked up to the middle wire should read around .45 - .5 volts closed and 4.5 volts roughly full open throttle.... I had trouble with my wire harness from vibrations causing it to screw up the wires so I had to rewire it and set it several times think I finally have got it and I get close to 360 miles on a tank full of gas so a properly set tps is very very good.....

and the oxygen sensor does have some paly in fuel economy but I got like 50-60 less miles to a full tank then I did with the tps hooked up .... it is important cause it will cause the ecu to go full rich in which case the O2 sensor is not working any way at that point. On a OBD1 car the O2 sensor only sends info to the ecu in regards lean or rich it is not accurate enough to determine fuel ratios per se... it just lets the ecu when it safe to go full wide open throttle and when it is not....
Old 10-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Iron Monk

VTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problemVTECFREAK has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby H22A
nope ur wrong, that is the function of a o2 sensor, oxygen sensor senses how much air fuel is un burnt going out of the exhaust then it informs the ecu to change the settings to maintain proper mixture.

TPS is throttle postion sensor, it informs the ECU how much of a opening the throttle butterfly is opening to inform the ecu how much fuel to squirt along with sharing other information from the oxygen sensor and other sensors.

But if the TPS sensor isn't working then everything is messed up because it's sending no signal to the other parts, correct.

If photopost was up I'd show you how my father in law hook up the TPS, I have no doubt that is my problem. He said we didn't need to wire up the H22 TPS and he just took the one off the F22 and ground it down to make it fit and hook a vaccum line to it. How do I wire it up when I get one?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby H22A

like i said it KINDA tells the computer how much air and fuel are getting into the motor. without it hooked up it would not know how much fuel to put in or how much air is in going in. i just didn't say it out that it reads the position of the throttle plate in order to know how much fuel to dump in. i knew what it did before but i was lazy and didn't type it in my other post.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
what the hell? explain to me how he hooked up a vaccum line to your tps do you even know what a tps looks like?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Quote:
what the hell? explain to me how he hooked up a vaccum line to your tps do you even know what a tps looks like?

LMAO....It's the sensor on top of the throttle body like you said right.....God damn it let me go take a pic.....BRB
Old 10-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Quote:
Old 10-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 98 Civic Coupe
Mods: stock
Shibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud of
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECFREAK
LMAO....It's the sensor on top of the throttle body like you said right.....God damn it let me go take a pic.....BRB

that is called MAP (Mainfold Absotule Pressure) its a sensor on the top of the throttle body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement