best way to polish OEM blade rims? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2001 Prelude
Mods:
Det.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhile
best way to polish OEM blade rims?

What do you reccomend to polish OEM rims?

I picked up Mothers Chrome polish, i figured it would give the brushed aluminum rims an extra glossy look..

But the results were a bit less then satisfactory... i mean they look clean.. but not as shiny as i would have prefered them to be...
they look almost hazy compared to before..

any suggestions?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 97 Prelude
Mods:
lumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problemlumanogin has a Rep problem
oem wheels, and even most aftermarket wheels, even polished lips, are coated with a clear coat from factory. that mothers chrome polish is meant for chrome wheels. it won't do anything but make the wheel a little greasy.

wash them with the same soap you use to wash your car, and dry them. u can throw a little wax on there but it won't do much. if you want to bling then try wetsanding your wheels. long process and lots of upkeep. not worth it IMO for oem base wheels, although a lot of people with gsr blades or fat5's, or si wheels do that.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Det.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhileDet.John Kimble Needs to go outside once in awhile
thanks lumanogin

I've heard of the wetsanding method... i agree too much work for oem wheels.
I just bought a set of Yokohama ES-100's for the stock blades... so i just wanted something to make the wheels stand out a little more...

Mothers also has this billet aluminum polish, and aluminum mag polish... any thoughts on that?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1992 Prelude SI
Mods: CAI, Exedy Clutch, 4Bidden Short Shift
AaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peonsAaronW Hello down there miniscule peons
I used some Armor-All Rim cleaner on my stock 4g Si wheels the other day.

It tore right through all the brake dust and made the wheels look pretty dang good considering the shape they were in, however, I realized the hose was too short after I had already sprayed the wheels (You're supposed to spray, wait 60 seconds, then rinse) so it just kind of moved the dirt around now.

The parts that did get cleaned without a good rinse though, turned out much better than expected. Nothing show-worthy, but it surprised me.
Current:
1992 Prelude Si
1997 Prelude Base
Fold@Home
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 93 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Dont use polish , like he said. Its paint on top of the rim. All you can do is sand and paint them really.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
I want my rims to look like this guys:

lol... i guess i'll have to put aside some time to get the wetsanding done...

Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: i have 2... can you guess...
Mods: bone stock baby !!!.... right??
gansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapy
taht is freaking clean !!! i want to do that to my rims. how long does that take ?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 94 Honda Prelude si
Mods: Under the knife as of March
jtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problem
i just got through polishing the "honda" on my valve cover and it came out pretty damn good hold on ill shoot you some pictures. i wet sanded with 400 then wetsanded with 2000 and followed up with bluemagic the kind second from the bottom in the box looks really good

Will buy oem 4th gen parts..Cherokee, and Comanche parts.... What'ch you got?? PM me
Old 05-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: BB2
Mods: never enough
spyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep tropospherespyder06 In the rep troposphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det.John Kimble
I want my rims to look like this guys:

lol... i guess i'll have to put aside some time to get the wetsanding done...
wow those things are nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdesigns
i just got through polishing the "honda" on my valve cover and it came out pretty damn good hold on ill shoot you some pictures. i wet sanded with 400 then wetsanded with 2000 and followed up with bluemagic the kind second from the bottom in the box looks really good
nice looking valve cover. makes me want to take mine of and paint it.

Engine/Power - H22A, short ram with BPi stack/K&N, Professional Products 68mm throttle body, Euro R intake manifold, Hondata gasket, JDM RSR header, ebay test pipe, Tsudo(ebay) exhaust, NGK Iridium plugs, Vision plug wires/cap, MSD coil, Carbing catch can
Tranny - M2B4, Centerforce stage 3 clutch, unknown light weight flywheel, shortshifter
Suspension - KYB AGX struts, Tanabe springs, Megan Racing front/rear strut bars and rear tie bar
Brakes - unknown slotted/cross-drilled rotors, Axxis pads, red calipers
Old 05-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 94 Honda Prelude si
Mods: Under the knife as of March
jtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder06
nice looking valve cover. makes me want to take mine of and paint it.
i dunno bout that man ... it lead me to do a valve adjustment and i rounded off one of the adjustment studs ,, but the valve cover looks million times better in the sunlight,, the picture doesnt do it any justice.

Will buy oem 4th gen parts..Cherokee, and Comanche parts.... What'ch you got?? PM me
Old 05-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gansedrifto1
taht is freaking clean !!! i want to do that to my rims. how long does that take ?

I first came across it on this thread found on the Toronto Prelude Club

http://www.************.to/forums/sh...=oem+rims+rule

apparently it takes a while..

Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 98 prelude
Mods: iceman air intake, Custom 2.25 flowmaster exshuast, CF oem hood, wwrs front lip, R.D struts
cardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapy
i use windex to make my rims shiney
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardudelude
i use windex to make my rims shiney
Thats actually horrible. Just use soap car soap.

Also I think I know what this person did they sanded off the paint and luckily the metal underneath seems to be polishable. They did a not soo good job with the polishing , I could make that look like a mirror. But anyhow , its doable then. Id say you might want to look into aircraft paint stripper , theres some at discount auto parts or any strong paint stripper and spray down your rims first. Youll also probably need to have the rim off the tire for best results and as you can see his are off too. Otherwise paint stripper wouldnt probably be good for tire.

So you would have to just use good elbow grease. But I gurantee if the stripper works , youll cut a good 10 hours off the job anddddddd itll be smoother and easier to polish and will probably come out better. Rather than sand it off , then the rest of the job is working at getting the sanding marks smooth. So you have to keep going higher and higher grit (less gritty and more smooth) till its a fine polish your using and a microfiber towell. I would then look into clear coating the rim at a proffesional painter or wheel painters place. That would then save you from having to redo this monthly. As polished metal rims are a bitch to take care of , in fact there just gonna look like ass all the time.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 98 prelude
Mods: iceman air intake, Custom 2.25 flowmaster exshuast, CF oem hood, wwrs front lip, R.D struts
cardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapycardudelude needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sho
Thats actually horrible. Just use soap car soap.

Also I think I know what this person did they sanded off the paint and luckily the metal underneath seems to be polishable. They did a not soo good job with the polishing , I could make that look like a mirror. But anyhow , its doable then. Id say you might want to look into aircraft paint stripper , theres some at discount auto parts or any strong paint stripper and spray down your rims first. Youll also probably need to have the rim off the tire for best results and as you can see his are off too. Otherwise paint stripper wouldnt probably be good for tire.

So you would have to just use good elbow grease. But I gurantee if the stripper works , youll cut a good 10 hours off the job anddddddd itll be smoother and easier to polish and will probably come out better. Rather than sand it off , then the rest of the job is working at getting the sanding marks smooth. So you have to keep going higher and higher grit (less gritty and more smooth) till its a fine polish your using and a microfiber towell. I would then look into clear coating the rim at a proffesional painter or wheel painters place. That would then save you from having to redo this monthly. As polished metal rims are a bitch to take care of , in fact there just gonna look like ass all the time.
How is that horrible? That actually shines them and makes them look good. Now maybe if your trying to refinish them than ya but im ust talking about cleaning them.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardudelude
How is that horrible? That actually shines them and makes them look good. Now maybe if your trying to refinish them than ya but im ust talking about cleaning them.
Let me re-iterate this. That is COMPLETELY HORRIBLE. You do not use a window product on your rims. You use soap , thats what is meant to be on it.

Your rims will get messed up overtime. Guranteed! Car soap is all the exterior needs. Save your exspensive windex for the windows.

I detail cars. Ammonia type products will not be good for it.

Call up a rim company and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement