Changing Manual Transmission Oil - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 Prelude Si H23A1
Mods: DC Sports Headers; CAI; Flowmaster muffler; Magnecor wires; Denso Iridium plugs; Redline MT90; Hyper Xenon headlamps
stonemaster is an unknown quantity at this point
tech wrench Changing Manual Transmission Oil

Changing MT fluid in a Prelude seems difficult at first. But if you've done it even once, it's no big deal. The biggest problem is getting to the fill hole which is located under the car and not as convenient as, say, the oil fill hole on the valve cover.

I recently changed the MT oil on my '92 Si (H23A1) and took some photos along the way. I'm not sure how other model years are configured, but I'm sure they're not too different.

You should also find out the exact capacity of your trans because it's hard to check the oil level. My '92 MT5 trans (H22 and H23 MT's have the same capacity) takes exactly 2 qts of oil so I know after the oil change that I'm up to specs.

Honda recommends using their MT brand, or 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil (SF or SG grade). I used Red Line MT90. You'll need exactly 2 quarts (1.9L) on the H23A1 or H22 engine. Be sure to use new aluminum washers on the plug bolts, too. The filler bolt is big, like 5/8 inch or so, and the drain is 1/2 inch I think.

NOTE: Honda recommends changing the manual transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or sooner under severe driving conditions

Here's the play-by-play:

Tools you will need: 3/8 inch socket set and wrench; oil filter wrench; torque wrench

You'll need to fabricate a special funnel to reach from the engine compartment down to the filler hole. This is the tricky part. Here are some that I made-up: (Photo 2)

I bought the long, metal funnel at www.harborfreight.com. This one worked the best because it's easier to snake toward the fill hole. You might find it at an auto supply or hardware store. I had to add an 8 inch extension to the tip using a piece of 1/2 inch tubing to make it reach into filler hole.

The other type is just a regular funnel with a 2 foot length of 1/2 inch tubing pushed onto the tip. You can find the tubing at a hardware store or pet store that sells pet fish (it's used for the filter systems). Get stiffer tubing. It's easier to snake through the engine compartment.

Overall length of either set-up is 25 to 28 inches from top of funnel to tip of the extension - just long enough to reach the fill hole.

I also recommend using an adjustable, 'click'-type torque wrench because it's easier to manipulate. You won't have many degrees of rotation under the car.

You'll also need a way to get under the car such as a floor jack and jack stands (remember, SAFETY FIRST!), as well as a pan or something to catch the oil. Make sure the pan clears the bottom of the car with the car down (not jacked-up). The reason becomes clear later.

Step 1. Warm-up the engine. With the engine off, block the tires and jack-up the right side of the car. Get those jack stands under there for safety.

FINDING THE BOLTS. From under the car, just on the inside of the right front tire under where the right axle comes out of the trans, look for the filler and drain bolts. They look completely different from the other assembly bolts. (Photo 3)

This photo shows the filler hole already unplugged and the filler extension on the funnel inserted.

Step 2. Remove the filler hole bolt using a 17mm socket. You may need a breaker bar 'cause it's in there pretty tightly.

Step 3. Insert the square socket drive on a 3/8 inch socket wrench directly into the drain plug (no socket required). The bolt was really stubborn so I again used a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3/8 inch reducer adapter. Get your drain pan under the drain hole. Unscrew the bolt and drain the trans.

Step 4. While the trans is draining, lower the car to let as much trans fluid as possible drain out. Make sure your drain pan doesn't get crushed. Wait 5 minutes or so before raising the car again.

While the car is down, snake the funnel down through the engine compartment and towards the filler hole. (Photo 4)

Step 5. With the car back up on jack stands, replace the drain bolt using a new washer. Tighten finger tight then torque to 29 ft-lb (4.0 kg-m).

Step 6.. Reach over and insert the end of the funnel into the fill hole (see Photo 3 above). From the top of the engine compartment, pour in 2 qts of MT oil using the funnel. (Photo 5)

Let the oil drain through the funnel and into the trans for a couple of minutes. Pull out the funnel.

Step 7. Reinstall the fill bolt with a new washer. Finger tight then torque to 33 ft-lb (4.5 kg-m).

Lower car and you're done. The 2 qts of oil is exactly the amount you need so you really don't need to check the level. Checking the trans fluid level is tough to do without a lift. The car must be level so if you raise the car with a jack, you will not get a true reading.

To check the MT fluid level: With the car level, remove the fill bolt. Reach in with a finger and check if the trans fluid comes up just to the edge of the filler hole. (That's why the fill hole is so big.) Add more fluid if necessary.

Good luck!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
h22addiction is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Please, FAQS this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-2002, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ric
SH Silver

Car: 2001 prelude base 5 speed
Mods:
ric is an unknown quantity at this point
or if your shit out of luck like i was i had to go in through the wheel well. belive it or not there was enough room to get a little tilt on the funnel so the fluid would go in. but this guys way is much easier for those with a long tubed funnel.

btw.......good work, nice documentation
Old 05-26-2002, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Mods: Exhaust, clear lights
SoulJah will become famous soon enoughSoulJah will become famous soon enough
Nice job stonemaster...I'm sure everyone will appreciate this....but does it help anyway in terms of performance? Did you notice anything like smoother gear changes or something?

I've been wanting to change mine...but the bolt won't budge..so im stuck...

H4 7000K HID kit for sale
92-96 Prelude Strut bar for sale...pm me for details..
Old 05-26-2002, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Mods: DC Sports Headers; CAI; Flowmaster muffler; Magnecor wires; Denso Iridium plugs; Redline MT90; Hyper Xenon headlamps
Did you try the breaker bar trick? That helped me out. Of course, you don't want to pop the head off the thing either.

As for performance, I let everyone know. This is the first time I'm using the Red Line.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car:
Mods:
speedlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by stonemaster
Changing MT fluid in a Prelude seems difficult at first. But if you've done it even once, it's no big deal. The biggest problem is getting to the fill hole which is located under the car and not as convenient as, say, the oil fill hole on the valve cover.

I recently changed the MT oil on my '92 Si (H23A1) and took some photos along the way. I'm not sure how other model years are configured, but I'm sure they're not too different.

You should also find out the exact capacity of your trans because it's hard to check the oil level. My '92 MT5 trans (H22 and H23 MT's have the same capacity) takes exactly 2 qts of oil so I know after the oil change that I'm up to specs.

Honda recommends using their MT brand, or 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil (SF or SG grade). I used Red Line MT90. You'll need exactly 2 quarts (1.9L) on the H23A1 or H22 engine. Be sure to use new aluminum washers on the plug bolts, too. The filler bolt is big, like 5/8 inch or so, and the drain is 1/2 inch I think.

NOTE: Honda recommends changing the manual transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or sooner under severe driving conditions

Here's the play-by-play:

Tools you will need: (Photo 1)

You'll need to fabricate a special funnel to reach from the engine compartment down to the filler hole. This is the tricky part. Here are some that I made-up: (Photo 2)

I bought the long, metal funnel at www.harborfreight.com. This one worked the best because it's easier to snake toward the fill hole. You might find it at an auto supply or hardware store. I had to add an 8 inch extension to the tip using a piece of 1/2 inch tubing to make it reach into filler hole.

The other type is just a regular funnel with a 2 foot length of 1/2 inch tubing pushed onto the tip. You can find the tubing at a hardware store or pet store that sells pet fish (it's used for the filter systems). Get stiffer tubing. It's easier to snake through the engine compartment.

Overall length of either set-up is 25 to 28 inches from top of funnel to tip of the extension - just long enough to reach the fill hole.

I also recommend using an adjustable, 'click'-type torque wrench because it's easier to manipulate. You won't have many degrees of rotation under the car.

You'll also need a way to get under the car such as a floor jack and jack stands (remember, SAFETY FIRST!), as well as a pan or something to catch the oil. Make sure the pan clears the bottom of the car with the car down (not jacked-up). The reason becomes clear later.

Step 1. Warm-up the engine. With the engine off, block the tires and jack-up the right side of the car. Get those jack stands under there for safety.

FINDING THE BOLTS. From under the car, just on the inside of the right front tire under where the right axle comes out of the trans, look for the filler and drain bolts. They look completely different from the other assembly bolts. (Photo 3)

This photo shows the filler hole already unplugged and the filler extension on the funnel inserted.

Step 2. Remove the filler hole bolt using a 17mm socket. You may need a breaker bar 'cause it's in there pretty tightly.

Step 3. Insert the square socket drive on a 3/8 inch socket wrench directly into the drain plug (no socket required). The bolt was really stubborn so I again used a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3/8 inch reducer adapter. Get your drain pan under the drain hole. Unscrew the bolt and drain the trans.

Step 4. While the trans is draining, lower the car to let as much trans fluid as possible drain out. Make sure your drain pan doesn't get crushed. Wait 5 minutes or so before raising the car again.

While the car is down, snake the funnel down through the engine compartment and towards the filler hole. (Photo 4)

Step 5. With the car back up on jack stands, replace the drain bolt using a new washer. Tighten finger tight then torque to 29 ft-lb (4.0 kg-m).

Step 6.. Reach over and insert the end of the funnel into the fill hole (see Photo 3 above). From the top of the engine compartment, pour in 2 qts of MT oil using the funnel. (Photo 5)

Let the oil drain through the funnel and into the trans for a couple of minutes. Pull out the funnel.

Step 7. Reinstall the fill bolt with a new washer. Finger tight then torque to 33 ft-lb (4.5 kg-m).

Lower car and you're done. The 2 qts of oil is exactly the amount you need so you really don't need to check the level. Checking the trans fluid level is tough to do without a lift. The car must be level so if you raise the car with a jack, you will not get a true reading.

To check the MT fluid level: With the car level, remove the fill bolt. Reach in with a finger and check if the trans fluid comes up just to the edge of the filler hole. (That's why the fill hole is so big.) Add more fluid if necessary.

Good luck!!
what is the fill hole for if you are filling from the top part of the engine bay???
Old 06-14-2002, 05:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car:
Mods:
PreludeRacer023 is on a distinguished road
Isnt redline a synthetic gear oil? Be very cautious about what u put into your tranny, any kind of synthetic oil, will ruin your syncros, its been done numerous times by people in this area, it works fine at first, but soon after the syncros begin to go bad, its recommended by honda to use either thier MT fluid which is 10w30 motor oil, or a conventional 10w30 oil...just some useful info for you guy..peace

93 Si..jdmh22a powered...cai/h/e/cam gears/street tires....untuned
13.74 @ 101.76
Old 06-14-2002, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
Poboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by speedlife

what is the fill hole for if you are filling from the top part of the engine bay???
The fill hole is where the fluid goes in. You have to run the funnel down to it through the engine bay.
Someone asked if it helps at all... I also replaced mine with redline MTF and it shifts a lot smoother. I usually change gears by pushing the shift knob with one finger.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

tech wrench

Red Line MTL and MT90 are manual transmission lubricants and satisfy the MT fluid recommendation from Honda (10W30). They are not rated the same as RedLine Gear Oils which are meant for differentials and other types of manual transmissions.

Check-out their site for more info at: www.redlineoil.com

As for my opinion on the product: I felt no big, noticable improvement. Maybe a slight improvement in shifter feel, but overall things feel mostly the same as before.

We'll see if my opinion changes in winter when temps drop below zero. That's when the shifter feels like it's cutting through cold molasses when using regular 10W30 for trans fluid.

Old 06-16-2002, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 5th Gen lude base-manual tr
Mods:
Sunny Lude is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice thread. Its about time I change mine also.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 97 civic, 97 h22a4 (stolen)
Mods: engine swap body kit rims etc...
Tokyo is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i got the prelude shop manual, and it says that you fill the from the top of the tranny (there should be a brass tube sticking up, covered with a rubber top). the bottom plug you are talking about, which fits the 1/2 inch drive, is the drain plug. dont open that unless you are draining it. the one above it, which is a 17mm, is the overfill plug. open that so that air comes in as you fill from the top. when you are filling, this will normally seep oil out when you reach your 2qt. max. dont cover it until the oil has stopped draining. thats just what i read in the shop manual...thanks
Old 06-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
EH2
Iron Monk

Car: '08 VW .:R32
Mods: Stock
EH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally posted by h22addiction
Please, FAQS this.
that is an awesome walk through. thank you! i remember when we were changing mine and we had to rig a funnel up, lol.
Old 06-28-2002, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Noob

Tokyo,

Maybe on later models (5th Gen?) they have that brass filler tube you're talking about. That would be great.

Unfortunately, in my '92 Honda Prelude Service manual there is no mention of any such filler tube (I checked every possible section including exploded views of the MT and the engine). So, at least for those with a 4th gen, '92 Lude, y'all must fill through the upper hole in the tranny and drain through the lower.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
BruHaHa is an unknown quantity at this point
bump for a great post...
Old 07-02-2002, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods: NOS sticker, and phat wing.
Ludeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Placed in FAQS. Good info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement