Grinding noise when turning left/right - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Koushu is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding noise when turning left/right

I have a 98 Prelude (not SH), 5 spd manual, with about 118k miles on it.

Recently it started making this grinding/gurgling noise when I turn left and right. It does it more when I turn left than when I turn right. And it only does it through first gear and part of second. Sometimes it does it when I'm in the last seconds of braking and when I've almost came to a complete stop. And pushing in the clutch when it's making the noise doesn't matter either; sometimes it stops and sometimes it still does it.

I tried to experiment with it as much as I could to give you guys the best description of what exactly it's doing and when it does it. It's only a grinding/gurgling sound, that's the best that I can describe it.

And I searched and found posts about similar cases with Civics and Accords but I could never find a definite answer. The suggested problems ranged from a bad Intermediate Shaft Bearing to bad CV joints.

So if any of you have had a similar problem or know what the problem is, please help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 03 IS300 5MT
Mods: Injen Intake. HKS Drager II Exhaust. HP Racing Headers. Enkei Evo5. B&G Coilovers.
boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?boosted bb2 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
my first thought before you said it does it in first and second only was wheel bearings. but idk.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1994 Honda Prelude SI
Mods: JDM H22A/M2B4 LSD-Megan SS Header-BPI Stack/K&N Filer on SRI-ACT Streetlight FW-Exedy Racing stage 1-Innovative Mounts-CF hood and Sunroof-JDM front end conversion-H&R sports/Tokico Illuminas
G2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problem
Welcome to the world of front wheel drive. It most likley you C.V joint/axle. And it would be the right one if it happens when turning left. One way you could test it is turn the wheel all the way in one direction, then take off with a little power and see if it "clicks".
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Well I tried that but it doesn't really make a "click." It's just this grinding sound that happens in 1st gear mainly.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: i have 2... can you guess...
Mods: bone stock baby !!!.... right??
gansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapygansedrifto1 needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koushu
I have a 98 Prelude (not SH), 5 spd manual, with about 118k miles on it.

Recently it started making this grinding/gurgling noise when I turn left and right. It does it more when I turn left than when I turn right. And it only does it through first gear and part of second. Sometimes it does it when I'm in the last seconds of braking and when I've almost came to a complete stop. And pushing in the clutch when it's making the noise doesn't matter either; sometimes it stops and sometimes it still does it.

I tried to experiment with it as much as I could to give you guys the best description of what exactly it's doing and when it does it. It's only a grinding/gurgling sound, that's the best that I can describe it.

And I searched and found posts about similar cases with Civics and Accords but I could never find a definite answer. The suggested problems ranged from a bad Intermediate Shaft Bearing to bad CV joints.

So if any of you have had a similar problem or know what the problem is, please help.

cv joints IMO .... btw is it dropped ?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
no drop, stock suspension (as far as I know).. is there any way to test the CV joints to see if they are in fact the problem? or if I take it to a shop can they check them somehow?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
On Blakes Nuts

Car: 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH
Mods: To many to remember or type for that matter!
preludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peonspreludedriver99 Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
no drop, stock suspension (as far as I know).. is there any way to test the CV joints to see if they are in fact the problem? or if I take it to a shop can they check them somehow?
If you're turning your wheel and get the clicking / grinding noise it's 100% your axles. If it's gear dependant then it's your transmission. Not hard to figure out if you've got a bad axle is it
Old 07-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Well considering I've never had axle problems with any of my cars then I figure it is hard for me to tell just exactly what this is.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
::UPDATE::

I fixed the problem. Turns out it was the rear brake pads all along. They had worn down unevenly at sort of a slant to where part of it was metal to metal. And whenever I would turn left or right, I guess my car would put pressure on the metal part of the pads and cause a grinding noise.

Well all is good. Just thought I'd post this for future reference.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: '93 Del Sol SI
Mods: check out my sig bish!
solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?solsykness you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludedriver99
If you're turning your wheel and get the clicking / grinding noise it's 100% your axles. If it's gear dependant then it's your transmission. Not hard to figure out if you've got a bad axle is it
if you just got your first car and you don't know much about mechanics, I'd say it would be pretty hard to know for sure what is wrong with your car

99 EJ8
Coupes FTMFW
Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1994 Honda Prelude SI
Mods: JDM H22A/M2B4 LSD-Megan SS Header-BPI Stack/K&N Filer on SRI-ACT Streetlight FW-Exedy Racing stage 1-Innovative Mounts-CF hood and Sunroof-JDM front end conversion-H&R sports/Tokico Illuminas
G2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problemG2IntegraGS-R has a Rep problem
Quote:
::UPDATE::

I fixed the problem. Turns out it was the rear brake pads all along. They had worn down unevenly at sort of a slant to where part of it was metal to metal. And whenever I would turn left or right, I guess my car would put pressure on the metal part of the pads and cause a grinding noise.

Well all is good. Just thought I'd post this for future reference.
Well good to hear you have it fixed. Seems like I ran into that same problem awhile bback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement