how do i check my fuel injectors??? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 prelude
Mods:
jdmvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i check my fuel injectors???

how can i test my fuel injectors and my fuel rail.....my car keeps stallin and i dunno wut it is....but it only happeneds wen i like get on the car or push it thru 1-3...or after awhile of drivin.....so duz ayone know how i can test them witout goin out and spendin mad money on a fuel system test thing....i saw a Snap-on one fr 750.00...but it was like 450 wit my student discount bt im not tryin to spend that much....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
man
Noob

Car: 93 prelude si
Mods:
man is an unknown quantity at this point
the only way I know to check injectors is to ohm them out with a multimeter. You can buy a cheap one for a few bucks. Just unplug the injector and you will see the two legs on the injector. touch your leads to those and you'll get your reading. on my 4th generation it should be around 2 ohms.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 92 Prelude Si/vtec (JDM H22)
Mods:
Lucke is an unknown quantity at this point
thats how you test the plug wires. the injectors are on the back of the engine under the intake manifold (i think)

I'm not sure that theres a great way to tell if your injectors are bad. stock fuel rail is very reliable though. the injectors should be good, but if its stalling, get some fuel injector cleaner and dump it in your gas tank. also it might be your fuel pump, but i'm not sure about that.

good luck though
Old 10-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
i just put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, ngk platnums, msd wires, changed my oil..so i duno..i got a multimeter so im gunnatry that....thanx...
Old 10-29-2002, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
o yea...i put that fuel injector cleaner in everytime i change my oil...i change my oil prolly every 7-8 weeks....hey i got a questin....if i got a MSD 6a box and thewires do i NEED theblaster coil?cuz i aint got one...i think its time for a new cat too...cuz that be the part of the problem??it rattles wen i hit a pot hole or a bump sumtimes..
Old 10-29-2002, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 92 Prelude Si/vtec (JDM H22)
Mods:
Lucke is an unknown quantity at this point
fuel injector cleaner should only be used when you change your oil, if you use it too much, it can destroy your injectors. letting too much gas in is just as bad if not worse than no gas.

and you could check it with the multimeter, but thats kind of a waste of time, its so hard for the resistence to change on its own.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
man
Noob

Car: 93 prelude si
Mods:
man is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not a waste of time to check the resistance, thats how i tracked down a bad injector I had on a civic. All it is, the injector is a valve that is actuated by an electromagnet. The electromagnet is the coil inside the injector. When energized the valve opens. So if the coil has gone bad, it won't have the resistance it originally had.

You say your car is stalling, like dying completely? If one injector is bad then it should just "miss", like a bad plug wire. The chances of all your injectors being bad is slim. May be your ignition switch, or ignition control module inside the distributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement